Complain or appeal about access to information

If you have asked for information and have been refused some or all of it, you should have been told why. If you disagree with our reasoning and the decision not to release information you can appeal. This applies to all requests for information made under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) or Data Protection Act (DPA).

What are FOIA, EIR and DPA?

  • the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) gives people a general right of access to information held by or on behalf of public authorities
  • the Environmental Information Regulations 2004 (EIR) give similar rights of access but specifically to information relating to, or affecting, the environment
  • the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) sets out a series of principles, which we must keep to when we use your personal information. It also gives you certain rights, including the right to see what personal information we hold about you.

How to complain

Contact the Corporate Information Governance Manager:

If you are not happy with the outcome of your complaint, you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) for a decision. Generally the ICO will not make a decision until you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided by the Council.

Live Chat

graphic which links to our Live Chat service


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.
If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you are happy to receive all cookies. For details, please see our privacy policy.