Private Hire Driver Licence
To apply you will require:
- a full UK driving licence held for at least 2 years
- eligibility to work in the UK, applicants should note we will only accept Residency Permits if they are valid for a minimum of 12 months
- when you submit your application you will need to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK, i.e. your current passport and any relevant visas or work permits if the passport is not British. If you do not hold a current passport please contact us for further advice
- no unspent criminal convictions. To check if your conviction is spent, please refer to guidance on rehabilitation periods
Failure to disclose full details of any previous convictions or cautions may result in your application being refused. Therefore if you have any previous cautions or convictions, spent or not, and you cannot remember the dates or sentence received, then you should go to your local police station and ask for a Police National Computer (PNC) check.
The Police National Computer is one of the main sources of information accessed when a Disclosure and Barring Service check is made. The Police National Computer holds indefinite records of a person's convictions and cautions which will be revealed in a Disclosure and Barring Service check. The police may charge for this information.
Before you apply
Before submitting your application you must complete the following
You can view a visual overview of the application process.
Driving assessment with the Blue Lamp Trust
Your can book your assessment with the Blue Lamp Trust online or by calling 03337 000157, Monday to Friday 9.30am - 4.00pm.
Once you pass the driving assessment your certificate will be valid for 12 months.
- finding out what a disability is
- understanding our legal obligations
- developing practical guidelines for interacting with disabled people
The course consists of 3 hours classroom based study and a 45 minute test and costs £50. Once you pass the disability course your certificate will be valid for 3 months.
To book a place please call 0121 678 7000.
First of all, get your own GP to complete a Medical History Form. Your GP may charge for this service.
Then make a medical appointment with our approved doctor at Coventry Road Medical Practice.
Completed medicals will be valid for 1 month.
Apply for a licence
To apply download an application for a private hire drivers licence.
You must deliver your form by hand to our Licensing Office
SMBC Central Depot - Block F
Office opening times:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 9.30am to 2.00pm
- Wednesday - closed
Please note that new applicants must attend the office before 1.00pm to submit your application.
You must have completed the application process within 3 months (unless there are exceptional circumstances), otherwise it will be cancelled.
Disclosure and barring service (DBS) disclosure
Before attending the licensing office to submit a new application or renew your badge, you must submit an online DBS disclosure (Once you have clicked on the link enter LICTEA within the 'Organisation Reference' box and leave the 'Password' box blank).
Follow all the steps, and at the end of the process, make a note of the reference number you are given. When you come in to renew your badge, bring the reference number with you along with supporting documents. These should be your passport if you have one, photocard driving licence, and at least 2 of the following:
- recent bank statement
- credit card statement dated within 3 months
- utility bills ( for example, gas, electric or water) also dated within 3 months
- a recent Council Tax statement.
Guidance notes are available if you require further support.
We no longer accept paper disclosure application forms.
Your driving licence
While we no longer need the paper counterpart of your DVLA driving licence, we still need to check your entitlement to drive and whether you have any motoring convictions.
You must obtain a check code from the DVLA website which allows us to check the status of your driving licence.
We've prepared instructions on how to obtain a check code.
Once you have submitted your application you will be invited to attend a Suitability Assessment
The assessment will involve a mix of verbal, written and multiple choice questions on the following subjects:
- highway code
- vehicle and driver conditions
- customer service
- driver safety
- taxi specific laws and regulations
- how to license a vehicle
- geographical knowledge
- vehicle maintenance
- after you have been granted a licence
If you fail the test, you can re-take it 1 more time and a re-test fee will be charged. If you fail twice your application will be cancelled and you will not be able to re-apply for 12 months.
Fees and charges
View our complete fees and charges.
The preferred methods of payment are card or cheque. Cash payments can be taken at:
Private Hire Driver Licences
If you hold a private hire drivers licence the following forms are available:
If you hold a licence and move address you must notify us in writing. You must also ensure that you obtain an updated driving Licence from the DVLA.
You can contact us by: