Apply for a copy certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that was registered in Solihull.
When you apply for a copy certificate online you'll be asked to create a customer account so that you can be kept up to date with the progress of your request.
If you are adopted you should apply directly to the General Register Office (GRO).
Copy birth certificate
Copy death certificate
Copy marriage or civil partnership certificate
Before you apply please read our certificate fees and how long it will take. If you require a priority service this incurs an additional charge.
General Register Office
You can order a copy of a birth, adoption, death, or marriage certificate in England and Wales with the General Register Office (GRO).
Applications for Birth, Death, Adoptions and Civil Partnerships registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) cannot be made online.
Apply by telephone
Call 0121 704 8002 and pay using a credit/debit card.
Apply by post
Download and fill in an application form:
Your completed form should be returned by post to:
Solihull Register Office
Cheques should be made payable to Solihull MBC.
Apply in person
At one of our Solihull Connect walk in centres.
What Information do I need to provide?
- the type of certificate you are seeking: birth, marriage, civil partnership or death
- the name or names the certificate applies to
- the date of the event (If the actual year is unknown we can search up to two years either side of the year provided)
- the place of the event (Solihull has more than 50 places where people can have a civil marriage/partnership, therefore it is not always possible to search all registers where the place is not specified)
- any other relevant information that may help us to locate the certificate
Fees and how long it will take
The cost of a certificate is £11.
At the time of your booking you can choose to either:
Your certificate will be posted or ready for collection after 7 working days.
We are not liable for any certificates that are delayed or lost in the post. If your posted certificate does not arrive you will be required to purchase a replacement.
Our priority service costs £35.
If you order before 1.30pm your certificate will be ready on the same day for either:
If you order after 1.30pm your certificate will be ready on the next working day.
We cannot guarantee the priority service or a refund of the administration costs if the information we receive is inaccurate or insufficient for us to issue the certificate.