Apply for a copy certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that was registered in Solihull.
You can apply for a copy birth certificate online.
If you are adopted you should apply directly to the General Register Office (GRO).
Before you apply please read our certificate fees and how long it will take. If you require a priority service this incurs an additional charge.
General Register Office
You can order a copy of a birth, adoption, death, or marriage certificate in England and Wales with the General Register Office (GRO).
Applications for Birth, Death, Adoptions and Civil Partnerships registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) cannot be made online.
Apply by telephone
Call 0121 704 8002 and pay using a credit/debit card.
Apply by post
Download and fill in an application form:
Your completed form should be returned by post to:
Solihull Register Office
Cheques should be made payable to Solihull MBC.
Apply in person
At one of our Solihull Connect walk in centres.
What Information do I need to provide?
- the type of certificate you are seeking: birth, marriage, civil partnership or death
- the name or names the certificate applies to
- the date of the event (If the actual year is unknown we can search up to two years either side of the year provided)
- the place of the event (Solihull has more than 50 places where people can have a civil marriage/partnership, therefore it is not always possible to search all registers where the place is not specified)
- any other relevant information that may help us to locate the certificate
Fees and how long it will take
Copy Certificates at the time of Registration
- short birth certificate - no charge
- standard/full certificate - £4
Copy Certificates after Registration
Copy Certificates will be ready for collection after 7 working days from the Solihull Connect walk in centre at Theatre Square, Solihull unless there is difficulty in tracing the certificate in which case we will contact you.
- Standard/Full Certificate after the register has been deposited (approx 30 days) - £10
- Standard/Full Certificate held in a current register (where the event occurred within the last month) - £7 or £10 for civil partnerships.
If you prefer we can post your certificate out to you, there is an additional charge for this service.
- 1st Class - £2.60
- 2nd Class - £2.50
- 1st Class Recorded Signed For Delivery - £5.65
- 2nd Class Recorded Signed For Delivery - £5.55
- Standard International Air Mail - £5.20
Copy certificates will be posted after 7 working days, unless there is difficulty in tracing the certificate in which case we will contact you.
Solihull Register Office is not liable for any certificates that are delayed or lost in the post. In the event the item posted does not arrive, you will be required to purchase a replacement.
Our priority service costs £19 plus the cost of the certificate and postage fee if you would like your certificate to be posted.
If ordered before 1.30pm our priority service allows for certificates to be collected after 4.00pm from the Solihull Connect walk in centre at Theatre Square, Solihull or posted out on the same day.
If ordered after 1.30pm our priority service allows for certificates to be collected the next day Monday to Friday after 4.00pm or posted out the next day Monday - Friday.
We cannot guarantee the priority service or a refund of the administration costs if the information we receive is inaccurate or insufficient for us to issue the certificate.