Council Tax Reduction

From 1 April 2018 there will be a change to our Council Tax Reduction Scheme. To see a full copy of our Council Tax Reduction scheme for 2018/19 please view our:

Working age residents, who are liable  to pay Council Tax, will no longer be able to claim Second Adult Reduction. 

Individuals or couples where both people are over pensionable age will not be affected.

Anyone who is exempt from paying Council Tax because they are severely mentally impaired or a student and live on their own will not be affected by this change.

Council Tax Reduction has replaced Council Tax benefit. You will get money off your Council Tax bill if you qualify.

You may qualify for Council Tax Reduction if:

  • you are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
  • you are on a low income or claiming benefits

You cannot get Council Tax Reduction if you or your partner jointly, have more than £16,000 in savings and capital. However, if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit) you may still qualify.

You can use our online benefits calculator to get an estimate of what you could get.

Benefits calculator

The details that you enter are automatically added to our online claim form, helping you to save time later on.

Second adult reduction

From 1 April 2018 working age residents, liable to pay Council Tax, will no longer be able to claim Second Adult Reduction.

Residents of pensionable age, liable to pay Council Tax, will still be able to claim Second Adult Reduction.

Anyone of working age currently receiving Second Adult Reduction will only receive this reduction up to and including 31 March 2018.

Anyone of pensionable age currently receiving Second Adult Reduction will not be affected by this change.

Second adult reduction is a reduction you can get on 85% of your Council Tax. You must make the claim, rather than the second adult.

You may qualify for second adult reduction if you have another adult living with you who:

  • is 18 or over
  • is not your partner
  • doesn’t have to pay you rent or board
  • is on a low income or gets certain benefits
  • doesn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax

How much second adult reduction will you get?

If the second adult is on benefits

If the second adult in your home is getting one of the following benefits, you will get a 25% reduction on your eligible Council Tax:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)

If the second adult isn't on one of the benefits listed above

  • If the second adult's gross weekly income is up to £200.99 you will get a 15% reduction on your Council Tax.
  • If their gross weekly income is between £201.00 and £259.99 you will get a 7.5% reduction.
  • If their gross weekly income is more than £260.00 you won't be entitled to a second adult reduction.

How to apply

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction online.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Alternatively please telephone Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8200 if you have any queries regarding completion of the form.

Changes to your circumstances

If your circumstances change, you must let us know straight away. Failure to do so could result in an overpayment of reduction which will have to be repaid and your claim may be cancelled. Visit our change of circumstances page for more details on what you need to report to us.

Live Chat

graphic which links to our Live Chat service


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.
If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you are happy to receive all cookies. For details, please see our privacy policy.