How the schools were selected
In June 2016, Solihull Council invited all schools in the borough to apply to be part of the 18 month pilot from September 2017. In total 11 schools from across the borough applied.
In reviewing each request, the following criteria were considered:
- the suitability of the existing road layout
- its usage including public transport requirements
- the vicinity of other traffic generators including business, leisure facilities, health centres
- a range of pupil data from the school travel plans
- the impact of any likely parking displacement
- the ability of students to walk or cycle to school
Final plans for the School Streets pilot were considered and subsequently approved by the Council’s Cabinet Member for Transport and Highways in September 2016.
The three pilot locations had all been experiencing road safety and inconsiderate parking issues caused by the number of vehicles arriving at the start and end of the school day, as well as meeting the supporting criteria.
Information on each school taking part