Do I need Planning Permission?

Following the Examination and approval at Full Council in April 2016, we will commence charging our CIL on Monday 4 July 2016

From Monday 9 May 2016, all applications creating over 100sqm of new floorspace, 100 sqm of change of use, or a new dwelling, including prior approvals under permitted development will require a CIL Additional Information Form

Please note CIL will be chargeable on all relevant applications at the time planning permission first permits development

Further information is available at

As a homeowner, you're responsible for your home and the land it is on. Works on your home or its land could be subject to Planning Permission.

The planning process can be a very a complex subject, and our home extension guidelines could help. If you require clarification on whether works require planning permission, please complete our Permitted Development enquiry form and email the document to

Our building regulation's ebook contains useful information and advice about making alterations to your home.

For information on how to extend your house please view our House Extension Guidelines document

Pre-application discussions

The Planning Portal is an excellent source of information for anything to do with Planning Permission, and also help with Building Regulations approval. With interactive guides and instructions about what permissions are most often needed, you can learn about.

Business customers should use our pre-application advice document. 

Building Regulations approval

Building Control Inspections

As a result of ongoing improvements to the organisation of Solihull Council's Building Control Service the cut off point for bookings for site inspections is now 4.00pm on the previous working day.

Most building work on your home will require Building Regulations approval before going ahead too. Essentially ensuring a building is safe and fit for use, it 's important to learn:


Demolition of a building is generally not classed as ‘development’ and therefore planning permission is not usually needed. However, the demolition of certain buildings will need approval from the local planning authority beforehand.

Other permissions you may need

You may also require additional permission, such as listed building consent, planning permission for demolition in a conservation area or TPO consent. The Planning Portal can also help you check what you need to do about:

Live Chat

graphic which links to our Live Chat service


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.
If you continue to use the site, we'll assume you are happy to receive all cookies. For details, please see our privacy policy.