Free School Meals and Universal Infant Free School Meals
To apply for Free School Meals select the following button.
This will link you to our Parent Portal where you can apply for Free School Meals or register for Universal Infant Free School Meals.
Free School Meals (FSM)
To qualify for Free School Meals you must receive at least one of the following benefits:
Free school meals are available to pupils in receipt of, or whose parents are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
In addition, the following pupils will be protected against losing their free school meals as follows:
- From 1 April 2018, all existing free school meals claimants will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out. This will apply even if their earnings rise above the new threshold during that time
- In addition, any child gaining eligibility for free school meals after 1 April 2018 will be protected against losing free school meals during the Universal Credit rollout period
- Once Universal Credit is fully rolled out, any existing claimants that no longer meet the eligibility criteria at that point (because they are earning above the threshold or are no longer a recipient of Universal Credit) will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education (i.e. primary or secondary)
The Universal Credit rollout is currently expected to complete in March 2023.
What happens if my circumstances change?
Report a change of circumstances
Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM)
All infant pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 will be eligible for Free School Meals as part of the Government’s Universal Infant Free School Meals programme.
You do not need to be receiving any benefits to qualify for Universal Infant Free School Meals, but you do have to register as without a request UIFSM cannot be provided.
From your application we can identify if your child’s school will qualify for extra funding which can be spent on various activities including extra tuition, sports and music at your child’s school.
Please note: if your child will be starting school in a Solihull school reception class this September you can apply/register for Universal Infant Free School Meals using our online application once you have confirmed your place; there is no need to wait until September.
Frequently Asked Questions