Money advice

If you have had a drop in income as a result of COVID 19 - including losing your job, losing contracts or a drop in household income because someone else in your household is self-isolating or in hospital - there is lots of advice and support available.

Help and support this winter

Winter can often be a difficult time for people. This year we know it could be even harder so Solihull Council has worked with local voluntary groups to create an information booklet to help you. Inside you’ll find information to help you keep warm, healthy and safe plus details of financial help and assistance. Wherever possible there are telephone numbers as well as web addresses.

Self-isolating Payment Scheme and First Right of Appropriation of Funds

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

Banks are not allowed to use the self-isolation payment - or any other benefit - to repay an overdraft. This is called - First Right of Appropriation of Funds. You can apply for a Self-isolating Payment and find out more about First Right of Appropriations of Funds here.

Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme

Check if you could be covered by the Corona Virus job retention scheme.

SCH tenants

If you are an SCH tenant and are worried about paying your rent, please call the SCH Contact Centre on 0121 717 1515. A member of staff will talk you through what support is available and connect you to the right services and information for your needs.

You can also get money advice from or visit

Council Tax

If you are out of work, on reduced pay or on a low income, you maybe eligible for a council tax reduction.

If you are  experiencing severe financial hardship or have experienced a crisis or event through no fault of your own and you have claimed any statutory exemption or discount that is available, you may also be eligible for a council tax discretionary reduction in liability.

Housing benefit, universal credit and other support

There's lots of financial help available if you've had an income drop as a result of COVID-19.
For information about housing benefit, universal credit and links to other grants and support please see here.

If you don’t have an income, your pay has significantly dropped or you are waiting for benefits, please contact Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8284. A member of staff will talk you through what support is available and connect you to the right services and information for your needs.

Business support

For up to date information about Coronavirus, COVID 19: Guidance for Businesses, please visit Solihull for Success.

Claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

Bounce Back Loans Scheme for small businesses

The Bounce Back Loans Scheme bolsters the existing package of support available to the smallest businesses affected by the coronavirus pandemic by providing loans of up to £50,000.

Further information as well as how to apply can be found here.

Farmers, landowners and rural businesses

The latest Information for farmers, landowners and rural businesses during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak can be found here.

Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)

The deadline for submitting applications for BPS 2020 is extended by one month to midnight on 15 June 2020, in recognition of the disruption caused by coronavirus (COVID-19).

You should apply online using the Rural Payments service as this is the quickest and safest method to use.

Further information can be found here.