If you need financial help to meet the costs of essential items in an emergency, an unforeseen event or exceptional pressures, there are grants and other support that you may be eligible for.
Our directory of financial help and community support provides a comprehensive list of local organisations who provide help and advice.
Short term advances
An advance of funds, designed to help people with short term need (for example, waiting for their first benefit payment or following a change of circumstances). The advance is then repaid over a short period of time. Please contact the Department for Work and Pensions:
- Employment Support Allowance/Job Seekers Allowance (ESA/JSA): 0800 169 0310
- Carers Allowance: 0800 731 0297
- State Retirement Pension/Pension Credit: 0800 731 0469
- Universal Credit: 0800 328 5644
Or go to www.gov.uk/short-term-benefit-advance.
Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)
DHP is only paid in exceptional circumstances to Solihull residents who are in receipt of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (Housing Costs Element).
It is designed to help if your Housing Benefit / Universal Credit (Housing Costs element) does not cover your rent, or if you need help with a one-off cost such as:
- Outstanding rent to prevent homelessness
- Moving costs - in exceptional circumstances
- Finding a deposit - if you are already claiming housing benefit or Universal Credit costs in Solihull, and have been referred from Solihull Home Options
Before completing an application please refer to the DHP information sheet for our eligibility criteria.
Charitable funds can include grants, essential items, food or cash to help in a crisis or emergency. You can search for available funds by visiting www.turn2us.org.uk or call 0808 802 2000.
Discretionary Crisis Fund (DCF)
DCF is a final safety net if you are experiencing a crisis and cannot resolve your financial difficulties any other way. DCF provides essential items for people in urgent need. It does not provide cash.
- complete an DCF application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- for further information read our DCF policy
If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.