Apply for a copy certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that was registered in Solihull.
Copy Certificates Service Suspended
Due to COVID-19, we will not be issuing copy Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Partnership certificates until further notice
All pre-ordered certificates will be delivered by post:
- standard certificates will be sent second class
- priority certificates will be sent first class
General Register Office
You can order a copy of a birth, adoption, death, or marriage certificate in England and Wales with the General Register Office (GRO).
Applications for Birth, Death, Adoptions and Civil Partnerships registered within the last 6 months (for marriages this period is extended to 18 months) cannot be made online.
Apply by telephone
Call 0121 704 8002 and pay using a credit/debit card.
What Information do I need to provide?
- the type of certificate you are seeking: birth, marriage, civil partnership or death
- the name or names the certificate applies to
- the date of the event (If the actual year is unknown we can search up to two years either side of the year provided)
- the place of the event (Solihull has more than 50 places where people can have a civil marriage/partnership, therefore it is not always possible to search all registers where the place is not specified)
- any other relevant information that may help us to locate the certificate
Fees and how long it will take
The cost of a certificate is £11.
At the time of your booking you can choose to either:
Your certificate will be posted or ready for collection after 7 working days.
We are not liable for any certificates that are delayed or lost in the post. If your posted certificate does not arrive you will be required to purchase a replacement.
Our priority service costs £35.
If you order before 1.30pm your certificate will be ready on the same day for either:
If you order after 1.30pm your certificate will be ready on the next working day.
We cannot guarantee the priority service or a refund of the administration costs if the information we receive is inaccurate or insufficient for us to issue the certificate.