Payment system unavailable - Thursday 27 February

Please note between the hours of 10.00am to 1.00pm on Thursday 27 February 2020, there will be no access to our epayment service as we are carrying out an essential upgrade.

This will effect all payments made via the Solihull Council website and automated telephone payment line.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Essential maintenance

Due to our planned annual billing process, access to register or view your Council Tax account will not be available from 4.30pm on Wednesday 26 February up to Tuesday 3 March 2020. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Council Tax discounts and exemptions

There are a variety of Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions available and they apply in various circumstances.

Council Tax is based on the assumption that there are at least 2 adults (people aged 18 or over) living in the property.

Council Tax Reduction

If you are on low income you may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction.

Council Tax Reduction may reduce a Council Tax bill by:

  • up to 85% where a person of working age lives in the property 
  • up to 100% where an individual or couple are over pensionable age

Single Person Discount

If you are the only adult living in your home (aged 18 or over), we can give you a single person discount of 25%. If your circumstances change and you are no longer the only adult in your property you will need to cancel your discount with us.

A penalty of £70 will be added to your account if you fail to notify us within 21 days of any change to your household that could affect this discount i.e. a second adult moves in or a person who lives in the household turns 18.

Please complete the appropriate online form:

Apply for single person discount

Cancel your single person discount

Your property is unoccupied or is a second home

Those with job related second homes provided by an employer for reasons of employment may be eligible for a 50% discount if certain conditions apply:

  • the duties of the job make it necessary for you to live there. For example a publican who owns their own home but their contract states they must live in the pub they run
  • the accommodation is provided for the better performance of the duties of the employment and it is usual for employers to provide accommodation. For example a caretaker or church minister
  • there is a threat to the employee’s security or special security arrangements are in force and the employee resides in the dwelling as part of those arrangements

Long term empty properties

If your property is unoccupied and unfurnished you will have to pay the current 100% charge. With effect from 1 April 2019, an extra 100% will be charged on properties that are unoccupied and unfurnished for 2 years or more. This will be in addition to the current 100% charge.

If you require further information please read our Council Tax Empty Properties Policy

Discounts for people who aren't counted

Certain people aren't counted when working out the number of adults who live in your home, therefore your bill will be reduced. If 2 adults live in your property and we do not count 1, you can apply for a 25% discount. You can apply for a 50% discount if all the adults are not counted.

When someone is not counted, this means that they are ‘disregarded’ for Council Tax discount purposes.

Who do we disregard?

  • 18 and 19 year olds for whom child benefit is being paid or who leave school or college between 30 April to 1 November
  • full time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth trainees
  • students or a student's non British spouse or dependants
  • patients living in hospital
  • persons who are living in nursing or care homes
  • certain care workers and carers
  • those detained in prison, hospital or by a court order (except those in prison for non-payment of Council Tax, or paying a fine
  • severely mentally impaired
  • resident of certain types of hostels
  • members of visiting forces and their families
  • members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their families
  • members of certain religious communities

If you think you are eligible for a discount please download and complete the appropriate form:

Exemptions available for 

Sometimes you may not have to pay Council Tax on a property. Most exemptions only apply when no one lives in a property, but sometimes occupied properties are exempt. Where an exemption has been granted it will be shown on your bill. 

Exemptions available for unoccupied properties

  • B - property owned by a charity that is unoccupied for less than 6 months
  • D - property left unoccupied by someone who has gone to prison
  • E - property left unoccupied by someone who has moved into a hospital or care home
  • F - a property left unoccupied because the former owner has died. The exemption lasts for up to six months after probate has been granted and providing that the property has not been passed to beneficiaries, sold or re-let before that time
  • G - property which is empty because occupation is forbidden by law
  • H - an unoccupied property waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
  • I - property unoccupied by someone who lives elsewhere to receive personal care
  • J - property left unoccupied by someone who has moved out to care for another person
  • K - property left unoccupied by a student and was last occupied by that student
  • L - repossessed property
  • Q - property left unoccupied by a bankrupt individual
  • R - a vacant caravan pitch or boat mooring
  • T - unoccupied property forming part of another property (annex) which cannot be let separately

Occupied properties

  • M - students halls of residence
  • N - property only occupied by students
  • O - property used by the armed forces
  • P - property occupied by visiting forces
  • S - property occupied only by people under 18 years of age
  • U - property occupied only by people who are severely mentally impaired
  • V - property occupied by diplomats or members of certain international organisations
  • W - self contained annexes occupied by elderly or disabled relatives 

A 50% discount may be granted for annexes used by the owner or tenant of the main building or occupied by a member of his or her family.

If you think you are eligible for a discount please download and complete the appropriate form:

For advice or information on the other exemptions listed please call 0121 704 8100.

Disabled Reduction

You may be able to claim a reduction off your Council Tax bill if your property is the only or main home of someone who is substantially and permanently disabled. Read our disabled reduction page  for more details.


When a reduction, discount or exemption is awarded, you are required to notify us within 21 days of any change in your circumstances i.e. someone moves in or out or someone’s situation changes. Failure to contact us with this information or knowingly supplying false information may result in:

  • an overpayment
  • a fine of £70
  • a further penalty of £280 imposed for subsequent failures to provide information requested
  • criminal prosecution (through a Magistrates Court)

Council Tax account. Follow link to register

Live Chat

graphic which links to our Live Chat service


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

This site uses cookies to help deliver an engaging user experience.
To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit