Tackling congestion at the school gates
Many schools across the borough experience a number of traffic related issues at the beginning and end of each school day.
Solihull Council therefore introduced ‘School Streets’, a project which aims to address such issues by limiting traffic in the streets surrounding schools at key times, creating a predominantly car free zone.
We aim to create a safer, more pleasant environment for everyone around schools. The scheme promotes active travel to school by walking and cycling, which in turn, will help to reduce congestion and pollution in the area.
The benefits of the scheme include:
- an increase in walking and cycling and active lifestyles for pupils and parents/carers
- a reduction in traffic speed, congestion and pollution around the school gates which will aid children and parents when accessing school
- improvements in levels of childhood obesity
- provide a tool to allow the Council to proactively respond to parking related concerns raised by parents and residents
Where is it happening?
The three current schools are:
The restrictions mean that most vehicles, including those driven by parents and carers at the three schools not able to drive into the roads covered by the restrictions to drop off or pick up children during the periods that the restriction is in force.
There are however a number of exemptions to the restriction that permit certain traffic to use the roads during the period that the restriction is in force.
The scheme went live at the three sites in September 2017 to coincide with the start of the 2017/18 school year.
After an initial trial period of 12 months the scheme has now been made permanent and we now intend to engage with local communities about rolling out the scheme at two further schools from February 2020 and also expand the existing Marston Green Infant Academy Zone to support the wider area.
The two new School Streets locations being proposed are:
- St Andrew’s Primary School - Windrush Close
- Widney Junior School - Clifton Crescent
Further information on these new locations will be available shortly and we will be looking to carry out a consultation with local communities on the proposal towards the end of November 2019.
Access any of the links below to find out further information on the scheme: