Children missing education service

We have a duty to establish (as far as it is possible) the identities of children in their area who are of compulsory school age and not receiving a suitable education (i.e. children missing education).

Children not receiving a suitable education are at increased risk of a range of negative outcomes that could have long term damaging consequences for their life chances.

We are committed to ensuring that all pupils who go missing from schools in Solihull, or who disappear from other counties and may have arrived in Solihull, are speedily located.

What do we mean by Children Missing Education (CME)?

Children Missing Education (CME) are children of compulsory school age who are not on a school roll, and who are not receiving a suitable education otherwise than being at a school.

They are:

  • Children whose whereabouts are known but they do not have any educational provision in place
  • Children whose whereabouts are unknown and therefore so is their educational provision

They are not:

  • Children who are on a school roll. If a child is not attending their registered school or education provider, please contact the school or education provider direct to discuss further
  • Children who are being Educated at Home

What to do if you are concerned?

If you know or suspect a child is missing from education, please let us know straight away. Checks are routinely carried out before contacting parents or carers, so it is always better to advise us if you are in any doubt.


  • 0121 704 6663


You can contact the CME & Pupil Tracking team by phone or email, and you can remain anonymous if you wish. By notifying us of your concerns you are helping to ensure the safety and wellbeing of some of the most vulnerable children in our community and your assistance is greatly appreciated.


Professionals and agencies that have concerns are kindly requested to complete the Notification of a CME in Solihull Form.

Submit a professional referral


If the child you are concerned about is on the roll of your school and their whereabouts are unknown please refer to the CME Policy and complete a CME School Referral Form.

When schools should use this form

  • Where pupils have stopped attending, attempts to make contact have not been successful, and where the destination of the child is not known.

When schools should not use this form

  • Pupils who have stopped attending but have not moved are non-attenders not CME; they must remain on the school roll and be dealt with as non-attenders.

When is it appropriate to take a pupil off the school roll?

  • 20 continuous unauthorised days absence, after both the school and local authority have tried to locate the pupil and Reasonable Enquiry has been undertaken. School to liaise with the CME & Pupil Tracking team at the Local Authority.

Submit a schools referral

If the child is not on the roll of your school please complete a professional referral.


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

This site uses cookies to help deliver an engaging user experience.
To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit