Your home address

Your home address is used in the process for allocating school places - either to determine a catchment area to measure the distance from your home to a school. We can check other council records but sometimes we ask you to provide evidence to prove your permanent home address, particularly if our records show a different address.

Proof of address

If you are moving house we will use your new address when you have moved into your new home, or if you moved some time ago, you will need to tell us the date of your move and send us proof that you have left one property and moved to another.

There is not a complete list of documents that we will accept. The onus is on you to send us as much as you can for us to look at, for example:

  • signed and dated tenancy agreement for your new property (tenancy must cover the period from the time of application to the start date at the school) or proof of purchase
  • proof of sale or renting out your previous property
  • new and final Council Tax bills
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit award letter
  • new utility bills showing set up and usage if appropriate
  • final utility bills
  • driving licence and car insurance
  • landline phone bill
  • bank or credit card statement
  • home insurance
  • Royal Mail post re-direction
  • invoice for removals

In some circumstances a council officer will make an unannounced visit to your home.

Children living between two homes

If care is shared between two parents, for us to identify the main carer, we will need to see a copy of the court order defining the arrangement. In the absence of a court order, we will use the address of the parent who is in receipt of the child benefit. You will need to send us a copy of your child benefit award for the last two years.

Sharing information when parents are not living together

When applying for a school place the applicant is agreeing that all other persons who are considered a ‘parent’ under education law, are entitled to all the information contained in that application including the names of the preference schools.

If the admissions team is asked for the details of an application made by a parent who is not the applicant we will contact the applicant and ask if there is any legal reasons why we should not disclose the information. We will require a copy of court documents preventing disclosure within 14 days, otherwise we will release the information.

Dealing with a challenge to an application

If parents do not agree with the application it will be placed on hold until all parties can provide a single application. The council cannot mediate disputes between parents. They must resolve disputes between themselves, if necessary with legal advice or through the courts. In the meantime, we will make interim provision for any child who is living in Solihull and does not have a school place within a reasonable distance.


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

This site uses cookies to help deliver an engaging user experience.
To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit