Essential maintenance

We will be completing maintenance on Saturday 24 October and Saturday 25 October 2020 to improve our online services.  

  • From 6.00am to 10.00am on Saturday 24 October you may experience a short delay when accessing our online services
  • From 8.00am to 10.00am on Sunday 25 October our website and online forms will be unavailable

Thank you for your patience while this work is completed.


Coronavirus restrictions in Solihull

Last updated: Friday 16 October 2020 at 3.30pm

Frequently asked questions

Local restrictions

Solihull is under local restrictions, in addition to the measures which apply across England. From Wednesday 14 October, it will be in the high alert (tier two) category.

You can read more about the high alert level restrictions on the government website here.

What is a support bubble?

A support bubble is a close support network between a household with only one adult in the home (known as a single-adult household) and one other household of any size.

Once you’re in a support bubble, you can think of yourself as being in a single household with people from the other household. It means you can have close contact with that household as if they were members of your own household.

Once you make a support bubble, you should not change who is in your bubble.

Is shielding being reintroduced for the vulnerable in Solihull?

No.  However, if you’re clinically extremely vulnerable, it’s important that you continue to take precautions. Find out more from the general guidance for clinically extremely vulnerable people.

What do I do if I see people breaking the rules?

If you encounter individuals breaching the restrictions, you can fill out a reporting breach of restrictions form with West Midlands Police.

If you are concerned that a business or venue is not following the Government's regulations, you can anonymously report them to the council.

I live in a multi-generational household. What should we do?

You can find specific advice at Gov.UK for those living in a home with three or more generations (e.g. parents, children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.), particularly where one or more of the household may be vulnerable. 

How long can we expect these restrictions to go on for?

These restrictions will go on for as long as is needed to bring down the coronavirus rates of infection. They will be reviewed regularly by government.

More information?

The government website has its own page dedicated to the restrictions in Birmingham, Sandwell, Solihull and Wolverhampton.

Education and childcare

Does this affect education?

All schools, colleges and other educational establishments should remain open and continue to allow all their students to attend.

Do pupils now need to wear face coverings in schools?

The only difference in education settings as a result of the updated rules is that where pupils in year 7 and above are educated, face coverings should be worn by adults and pupils when moving around the premises, outside of classrooms, such as in corridors and communal areas where social distancing cannot easily be maintained.

Does this affect childcare?

All nurseries, childminders and breakfast/after-school clubs should remain open and continue to allow all their children and young people to attend.

Is family childcare exempt from these restrictions?

People looking after children under the age of 14yrs or vulnerable adults are exempt from the ban, when it’s necessary for caring purposes. But this does not include playdates or parties.

Can I collect my friend’s children from school and take them home but not go inside?

If you are walking or cycling to school then the rule of six applies for this and you can supervise outdoor journeys but you have to maintain social distancing in line with the general rules for meeting people outside. It is advised to avoid sharing a car with people you don’t live with if it can be avoided because there is evidence that this is a way the virus spreads. If there is no other choice then there are guidelines on how to reduce the risk through seating people you don’t live with in the backseat, wearing face coverings and keeping the windows down. There is further guidance here:

Can I still move to university outside Solihull, even though I will be living with other people? What if my university says I can’t move to their student accommodation because I currently live in Solihull?

If you are moving away from home to start university then your new accommodation will be your new place of residence, and you will therefore be subject to any restrictions in that area (and of course national ones) rather than your current home. If your university suggests you can’t move into accommodation you must go back to them and remind them that you will no longer be a Solihull resident, and that they can check with government regulations if in doubt.


Can I go to meet a friend or relative in their home in an area not subject to these restrictions, such as Worcester?

No – and they cannot come to your home either.

Can I still travel to work, school or for leisure purposes?

People living inside and outside of these areas can continue to travel in and out for work, school or leisure activities. Those venues or activities will have their own Covid restrictions in effect, which you will need to abide by.

Social activity and exercise

How are community activities like support groups, clubs and classes affected?

Adults can continue to take part in outdoor organised sport and licensed physical outdoor activity in groups of more than six, provided it is organised by a national governing body, club, registered instructor/coach, business or charity; and/or involve someone who has received an official license to use equipment relevant to the activity. In all cases, the organiser must conduct a risk assessment and ensure compliance with Covid-secure guidance. Particular care must be taken to stringently follow guidance on social distancing, handwashing and the taking of attendees’ details for purposes of contact tracing.

When playing sports informally (where not organised in line with the rules above), with people you don’t live with, you must limit the size of your group to 6.

From 24 September, organised indoor sport or exercise classes can take place in larger numbers, provided groups of more than 6 do not mix. If groups of 6 are likely to mix, these indoor activities must not go ahead.

Organised indoor team sports for disabled people can take place in any number.

All supervised activities for under 18s, including sports and exercise groups, indoors and out, are permitted where a risk assessment has been carried out.

Can I go to a wedding or a funeral?

Weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and funerals (including ceremonies at crematoriums) can still go ahead if they comply with the guidance and venue capacity. These are currently limited to a maximum number of 15 people for weddings and 30 people for funerals – however, it may be less than this in order to ensure sufficient space for social distancing. For more information about weddings, civil partnership ceremonies and funerals in Solihull see here.

People living in Solihull can travel to attend a wedding, civil partnership ceremony, or funeral, but they must not meet with another household in a private home or garden.

Can I go to a place of worship?

You may attend a mosque, church, synagogue, temple or other place of worship, but you should socially distance from people outside of your household. Please also follow guidance that these establishments have set out.

What is the council doing to improve Covid-19 safety in restaurants, pubs, bars and cafes where there have been cases of transmission?

We have an ongoing programme of visits to business premises across Solihull, to check on Covid-19 secure arrangements and to provide advice.

This includes a mixture of reactive visits, drawing on public feedback and data from Public Health England, and proactive visits, focusing on high risk premises (hospitality venues, hairdressers, salons, etc.).

If you have concerns about a business, you can report them through our online form here.

When visiting another house is permitted

Can I have someone in my house (or go into someone’s house) to do repairs or other work?

You can go to other people’s homes or host somebody in your home for work purposes as long as national guidance on how to work safely is followed. This includes limiting contact with customers, explaining safety measures to them, making sure staff are properly trained and understand what they need to do and avoiding crowded areas. A contractor or business should check if anyone in a customer’s house has symptoms before visiting.

Can I visit another household to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person?

You may visit another household to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person - for example to provide personal care support for a disabled person. But it is important that you limit the visit to provide the care and it may be helpful to look at the guidelines for people going into other households for work purposes for some tips on how to keep the person you provide care for safe.

Live Chat

graphic which links to our Live Chat service


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

This site uses cookies to improve your experience.
To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit