Help in your home

If you are finding it hard to manage at home you can get help to stay independent.

The help you need depends on the things that you find difficult. Getting home care can help you enjoy living in your home again and boost your independence.

Help is also available if you are a carer looking for help with your role.

Get help at home

The Solihull Directory has a list of local home care providers to help you live as independently as possible in your own home.

For example, you may need help from home care staff with:

  • day to day domestic tasks such as doing the laundry, cleaning the home and personal care including getting in and out of bed, getting in and out of the bath, washing, dressing and going to the toilet.
  • practical things like managing your personal finances, filing and completing paperwork and doing the weekly shopping
  • making drinks, snacks, preparing food, cooking and eating hot meals.
  • rebuilding confidence and skills after a period in hospital or residential care
  • feeling safe, comfortable and secure at home

Private home care agencies can arrange for someone to meet you and talk you through the type of home help that is available and find the best help for your needs.

If you decide to use one of these organisations to provide care in your home in Solihull you will need to pay for the services you arrange. You can visit the paying for your own care page to find out more and about the support that may be available.

If you would like to talk personally to someone about home help, you can visit our Community Advice Hubs.

You can also call Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8007 to speak to someone in the Solihull Adult Social Care team.

Improving and adapting your home

You may be able to manage at home more safely and comfortably with a few simple alterations or adaptations to your home.

Taking care of your home, including repairs will also improve your quality of life.

Solihull Independent Living offer elderly people, disabled people, and people on a low income, an affordable way to fix, improve or adapt their homes. The service is available if you are receiving Disability Living Allowance or Employment Support Allowance (this is being replaced by Universal Credit), and to people aged over 60 getting certain benefits.

Solihull Independent Living can also help home owners and private tenants with improvements such as rewiring, re-roofing, improving security and updating kitchens and bathrooms.

There is a charge to use the service, but you might be able to get if you find it difficult to pay.

You may also be able to get a Disability Facilities Grant

For council tenants, a home improvement and maintenance service is offered by Solihull Community Housing (SCH).

Why not arrange a visit to The Better Living Centre to get free and impartial advice from trained staff and demonstrations of useful gadgets, adaptations and equipment

Other help around the home

Solihull Independent Living also offers a handy person service.

It could be perfect for helping with those small jobs around the house that you can no longer manage yourself. The service is open to anyone over 60, those receiving Disability Living Allowance and if you are receiving:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Council Tax Reduction (not sole occupancy)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (being replaced by Universal Credit)
  • Housing Benefit (being replaced by Universal Credit)
  • Pension Credit (not Savings Pension Credit alone)

There is a charge to use the service.

Useful gadgets (telecare / assistive technology), special equipment and wheelchairs may all help with daily tasks and make them safer.

Community wheelchair and equipment service

If you feel that you, or the person you care for, would benefit from a wheelchair or other equipment such as a walking stick or pair of crutches to help you move around, your GP can refer you to the community equipment and wheelchair service. Referral to the service can also be made by an Occupational Therapist or other healthcare professional.

You can find out more about the free wheelchairs and equipment available, as well as other equipment you can pay to use, by contacting the service directly on:

If you know someone who would benefit from a wheelchair you can ask their GP to refer them to wheelchair services.

To find out how to return equipment you do not need anymore you can phone 0121 329 0900.


You can also visit the Ask SARA website.

Ask SARA offers award winning and detailed advice and information from the Disabled Living Foundation about daily living which is tailored to your personal circumstances through a series of simple questions.

When things become difficult

Support in your community is available to anyone aged over 65, people that are disabled or have learning difficulties and those finding it hard to cope at home.

If you are finding it very difficult to live safely at home and are concerned, you can contact Solihull Council Adults Social Care team to request an assessment. A qualified worker will work with you, and your carer or representative if you want, to talk about your needs and how to help.

To understand your level of care an assessment will be conducted. The assessment will take place in your own home or wherever is most convenient for you. You can also complete a supported assessment in your local Community Advice Hub.

The assessment process will discuss what support you need to let you live your life in the best way possible, from understanding your care and support needs to helping maintain and improve your personal wellbeing and lifestyle.


The excellent NHS also has a lot of help and support about for home care services and keeping yourself well, including information about: