If you are not able to sponsor an individual or family, you can help the situation in Ukraine by donating money or items.
Global charities operating in the UK and Ukraine are appealing for funds to offer aid in the humanitarian crisis.
Organisations collecting funds for Ukraine include:
- The British Red Cross has launched an appeal to help the Ukrainian Red Cross to provide food, medicine, clothing and shelter, as well as first aid training in bomb shelters
- The UNHCR refugee agency is funding emergency shelters, repairs for homes damaged by shelling, emergency cash assistance, psychological support and warm clothing
- Unicef, the UN's children's charity is helping to ensure families have clean water and food and that child health and protection services continue
- Save the Children, which is providing cash assistance, food and other support to refugees crossing into Romanian and Lithuania, as well as in Ukraine itself
- The Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain, the largest representative body for Ukrainians in the UK, is working with accredited and registered Ukrainian charities to provide medicines, food and critical services to support the most vulnerable to overcome the consequences and trauma of war.
For further information on how and where you can help, please visit the GOV.UK website.
Solihull Council, in line with the Charity Commission and Fundraising Regulator, is urging the public to ‘give safely’ to registered charities helping and supporting those affected by the invasion of Ukraine.
Residents are therefore advised to give to a registered charity.
People looking to donate to charities working in Ukraine and neighbouring countries, can quickly check a charity’s name and registration number on the GOV.UK website and a dedicated Disaster Emergency Committee (DEC) page has been established, where funds for Ukraine are being collectively raised.
When large-scale disasters hit countries without the capacity to respond, the DEC brings together 15 leading UK aid charities to raise funds quickly and efficiently.