- Issued: Thursday 10 September
- Updated: Friday 18 September to detail new end date for testing site of 5 October
- Updated: Monday 21 September to add advice about wearing face coverings and list walk in test sites across the Midlands
- Updated: Thursday 1 October to add testing site will be in place until end of October
Following the recent sharp increase in Covid-19 cases across Solihull since the Bank Holiday weekend, a drive through Covid-19 Mobile Testing Unit (MTU) has now opened in Monkspath Hall Road car park, close to Solihull town centre.
People can only get a free test at the MTU if they have Covid-19 symptoms: a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste. It is important not to get a test if you do not have symptoms, unless you have been specifically directed to have one, to make sure that tests are available for anyone who needs one.
Tests must be booked via the online national NHS booking system or by calling 119. No one should turn up without a booking.
The MTU is located at the back end of Monkspath Hall Road car park (postcode B91 3LU), close to Park View Day Centre until the end of October. If the infection rates remain high, the MTU will remain in place for longer. The site is open to booked appointments from 10.30am-3.30pm daily and signs are in place to direct drivers to the facility.
Please note that anyone attending the MTU should wear a face covering, keep it on when communicating with staff on the site and keep their car windows raised until asked to lower them. This will help to keep everyone safe.
Residents are reminded to keep following the rules to keep the infection rate down. Please keep social distancing, hand washing and wearing face coverings where required.
Anyone testing positive will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace to help them track their contacts. This will help people to identify who they may have been in close contact with, protecting others from further transmission.
Ruth Tennant, Director of Public Health, said “Testing is an important tool we have to control the spread of the virus. But it’s also essential that anyone with COVID symptoms self-isolates for 10 days from when their symptoms first started. The test tells you if you have COVID but it’s the self-isolation that stops it spreading.”
Further information on self-isolation is available on the government website here.
This is a list of the walk in test sites in other parts of the Midlands (as at 21 Septemer 2020):
- University of Birmingham LTS, South Gate Car Park, B15 2TU
- Saltley LTS, Saltley Wellbeing Centre Car Park, B9 5YD
- Lozells LTS, Villa Street, Lozells B19 2XS
- Sandwell, St Pauls Road, St Pauls Car Park, B66 1EG
- West Bromwich LTS, Temple Str/Fredrick St Car Park, B70 9AB
- Woodgate Valley Park, Woodgate Valley Car Park, B32 3DS
- Sutton Coldfield, South Parade Car Park, B72 1QY
- Summerfield LTS, Summerfield Community Sports Centre Car Park, B18 4EJ