Welfare reforms

The Government is making changes to benefits and tax credits. Some are already in place, and others will be introduced over the next few years. If you are of state pension age, the majority of these changes will not affect you.

Housing and Council Tax

You can find out about the arrangements for:

We can also offer help and guidance if your need support with your finances.

Benefit cap

Changes to the welfare system set a maximum amount of money you can receive in benefits. This may affect your housing benefit.

The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduced changes to the benefit cap. These changes started in September 2016 and include changes to the benefit cap levels to £20,000 a year for couples, with or without children and lone parents (living in Great Britain but not Greater London), and £13,400 for single people without children in Great Britain but not Greater London. Please note, different benefit cap levels apply for claimants living within Greater London.

The benefit cap won't apply to

The benefit cap won't apply to you if you, your partner or any children living with you can get any of the following benefits:

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Guardian's Allowance
  • War Widow's or War Widower's Pension
  • War Pensions
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and the equivalent payments as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • The support group amount of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independent Payment

If you think you may be able to get one of these benefits, you can find out more at

Please note that any adult children living with you would not normally count as part of your household. So, if they are claiming one of these benefits, the benefit cap may still change your own amount of payment

From November 2016, if you, your partner or any dependent young person living with you can get Carer's Allowance or Guardian's Allowance, the benefit cap will not apply to you

For more information about the benefit cap changes visit

Contact the Benefit Cap helpline for further advice on 0345 605 7064 (Calls to 0345 numbers cost no more than a standard geographic call and count towards any free or inclusive minutes in your landline or mobile phone contract).

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is to be replaced with Personal Independence Payments. If you are aged 16 to 64 and receiving DLA, you will be asked to apply for financial assistance through new Personal Independence Payments.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will replace a range of means-tested benefits including:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Universal Credit will only affect people of working age. It will be paid to households in a single monthly payment.

Chelmsley Wood and Solihull Job Centres take claims for Universal Credit for all people of working age and households, with the following exception:

  • if you are entitled to the severe disability premium (if you fall into this category you will need to claim either Income Support or income based Jobseekers Allowance or Income Related Employment Support Allowance and Housing Benefit)

For more information on Universal Credit visit Gov.UK.

Specified Accommodation

If you live in a type of supported accommodation known as specified accommodation, or temporary accommodation, your Universal Credit can't help with your housing costs. Instead, you'll have to claim Housing Benefit.

Council Tax

Whether you claim Universal Credit or any other benefits, you should also claim Council Tax Reduction from Solihull Council if you are liable to pay Council Tax at your property.

Support to Success

Have you noticed that your money does not go far due to higher living costs, loss of employment or changes to benefits? Do you want to start using the internet but don’t know where to start? Or perhaps you’d like to feel healthier?

Support to Success brings together, in one place, local advice and support available to help you to be successful. Visit our Support to Success page for more details.

Concerned about the changes?


If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.

Live Chat

graphic which links to our Live Chat service


Is this information helpful?

Tell us how we can improve this page

Contact us

This site uses cookies to help deliver an engaging user experience.
To learn more about what cookies are and how to manage them visit