Permitted Development Rights for homeowners in Solihull

Please note: Informal permitted development enquiries will no longer be considered by our Planning team. Information regarding permitted development for household extensions or alterations can be found by using the links below.

You can apply for formal consideration of either Proposed or Existing development through the submission of a Certificate of Lawful Proposed Development or alternative for a Certificate of Lawful Existing Development at the Planning Portal.

Common home improvement projects are often covered by Permitted Development Rights, such as:

  • conservatories and other single storey extensions
  • driveways
  • porches
  • rear dormers
  • satellite dishes
  • decking areas
  • solar roof panels
  • chimneys
  • detached buildings within land around a house
  • domestic heating storage containers

Am I covered by Permitted Development Rights or do I need Planning Permission?

Permission is required for areas we have removed Permitted Development Rights for. You should always check whether you need Planning Permission if unsure, and always seek permission for:

  • flats and maisonettes (other than for satellite dish installation)
  • listed buildings
  • conservation areas

If you're unsure whether your property has Permitted Development Rights or needs Planning Permission our Technical Guidance document could help.