Good governance arrangements are key to successful organisations. The organisation is responsible for establishing and maintaining appropriate risk management processes, control systems and operational procedures. Internal Audit plays a vital role in advising the organisation that these governance arrangements are in place and operating effectively.
The Council has a statutory responsibility to have audit arrangements in place as required by the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2011 and its role is to provide an independent appraisal of the Council’s internal control systems. This requirement is embodied in the Council’s Financial Regulations.
Internal Audit is an assurance function within the Resources Directorate that provides an independent and objective opinion to the organisation on the control environment, by evaluating its effectiveness in achieving the organisation’s objectives. It objectively examines, evaluates and reports on the adequacy of the control environment as a contribution to the proper, economic, efficient and effective use of resources
The role of Internal Audit is to:
- Review, appraise and report on the adequacy and application of internal controls, the suitability and reliability of financial and other management data, including performance measurement, and the extent to which the Authority’s assets and interests are accounted for and safeguarded from loss;
- Support and encourage value for money, including lean initiatives, through improvements in the efficiency, economy and effectiveness of services;
- Investigate fraud, corruption and other irregularities, where appropriate;
- Lead on counter fraud measures through promotion of fraud awareness, undertaking proactive fraud reviews and ultimately assisting management to reduce fraud risks;
- Advise on internal control and risk implications to new and existing systems and projects.
For more information or if you have any queries please contact:
Tel: 0121 704 6067
Through our work for Solihull Council, we also offer our experience and expertise to other public sector organisations either on a contract or ad hoc basis. Our clients including academies, colleges, local authorities and parish councils.