Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership COVID-19

In line with the Government’s roadmap to easing lockdown rules civil registration offices will continue to provide the majority of public services and notice appointments are permitted.

Face coverings are required to be worn when attending your appointment. For the most up to date COVID-19 guidance please visit the Gov.UK website.

If you are getting married in a Church of England you may need to give notice of marriage at a Register Office. You should consult the Church Minister.

You both must give notice in person - no one else can do it on your behalf.

You must have lived in the district where you are giving notice for a minimum of 9 clear days immediately prior to giving notice. (If you are marrying a foreign national outside England and Wales, requirements may vary).

Your notice is publicly displayed for 28 days, after which the authority for your marriage or civil partnership may be granted. Each notice is valid for 1 year, but if you decide to change venue, new notices must be given. (If you are marrying abroad, these conditions may vary).

If you intend to marry or form a civil partnership in a different area, you should also contact the local register office for that area before you give notice, to ensure that officials will be available on the day.

Before you give notice, you should make sure that you are able to satisfy the laws concerning residency and immigration control.

If you or your partner is from outside the EU, EEA or from Switzerland you need to give notice together at a designated register office, even if you live in different districts. The immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told. If this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership.

Fees and how to make an appointment

If you live in Solihull you will need to make an appointment to give notice by telephoning 0121 704 8002.

The fee for the notice is £35 per person

Appointments are currently only available at :

Solihull Register Office
Homer Road
B90 3QZ

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: First appointment 11am. Last appointment to end at 1pm.
Wednesday: First appointment 10.30am. Last appointment to end at 1pm.
Friday: First appointment 10am. Last appointment to end at 1pm.

Monday to Thursday: First appointment 2pm. Last appointment to end at 4pm.
Friday: First appointment 2pm. Last appointment to end at 3pm.

What documents will you need to provide?

Please note all documents must be presented at the notice appointment otherwise your notice will not be taken. All of the documents must be originals - photocopies are not acceptable.

You need to take proof of your name, age and nationality eg

  • valid passport
  • birth certificate
  • national identity card from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
  • certificate of registration
  • certificate of naturalisation
  • biometric residence card or permit
  • travel document

The registrar also needs something with your address on it eg

  • valid UK or EEA driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill from the last 3 months
  • bank or building society statement from the last month
  • council tax bill from the last 12 months
  • mortgage statement from the last 12 months
  • current tenancy agreement
  • letter from your landlord confirming you live there and includes your landlord’s name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days

You will need other documents if you don’t have a valid passport and you were born after 1983, please contact us on 0121 704 8002.

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to provide either:

  • a decree absolute or final order
  • the death certificate of your former partner