Documents you need to provide when giving notice

When you give notice you must bring documents to your appointment as proof of your name, age and nationality. 

If you do not bring the correct documents to your appointment your notice will not be taken. All of the documents must be originals - photocopies are not acceptable.

You need to take at least one document as proof of your name, age and nationality:

  • valid passport

    • If you do not have a valid passport and were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 you will need to bring a copy of your full birth certificate and the passport or full birth certificate of the parent you have gained nationality from
  • birth certificate
  • certificate of registration
  • certificate of naturalisation
  • travel document
  • EEA or Swiss nationals will also be required to bring their Share Code for settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS), or their certificate of application for EUSS to prove their pre-settled or pending status.

The registrar also needs at least one document with your address on it:

  • valid UK or EEA driving licence
  • gas, water or electricity bill dated within the last 3 months
  • bank or building society statement dated within the last month
  • council tax bill dated within the last 12 months
  • mortgage statement dated within the last 12 months
  • current tenancy agreement
  • letter from your landlord confirming you live there and includes your landlord’s name, address and their signature dated within the last 7 days

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to provide either:

  • a decree absolute or final order (if you have had a divorce granted outside the British Isles, additional fees apply for the divorce document to be verified.  Fees are non-refundable and are payable at the notice appointment)
  • the death certificate of your former partner

If you are a ‘non-relevant national’ - this means not a British citizen, Irish citizen or have been granted European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) status you will also need to bring:

  • A passport style photograph for each of you even if only one of you is from outside the UK
  • Proof of your current immigration status (for example your visa, ARC card)
  • A translation of any documents that are not in English

If you or your partner is a non-relevant national and you do not have a visa or you are unable to make the appropriate immigration statement, the immigration authorities at the Home Office will be notified. A hard copy of a letter granting status is not evidence of rights in the UK.

If you do not speak and understand English you must bring an interpreter to your appointment. If you are unable to bring an interpreter please let us know this when you book.