A boards, trade displays and pavement cafe permits

In order to place any of the following items on the public highways it’s necessary to a have a valid licence.

  • trade displays - items such as cut flowers, fruit and vegetables, clothing or other wares
  • pavement cafes - areas for consumption of food and drink, usually consisting of tables and chairs 
  • self-standing 'A' board type signs - boards for advertising goods and services offered by the business 


To apply please download the relevant application form:

Before completing your form please read our application policy.

Fees from 1 April 2023

  • trade displays - £271
  • pavement cafes - £233
  • 'A' boards - £210 reduced to £100 if paid in the month of May 2023.