The Communication and Learning Difficulties (CLD) Team is a team of experienced Specialist Teachers. The team is traded and can be purchased by all Solihull primary, secondary and special schools on an annual subscription basis. Alternatively, we can be bought on an ad-hoc basis.
The CLD team works with pupils with a broad range of special educational and learning needs aged 5 to 18. Activities provided by the team support a graduated response to SEND. Pupils supported by the CLD team will be receiving SEN Support in school or have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.
The CLD team have a range of skills and expertise in supporting pupils with special educational needs. These include the following:
- Literacy and/or numeracy difficulties, including dyslexia and dyscalculia
- Motor skills difficulties, including dyspraxia /developmental coordination disorder
- Speech and language difficulties
- Social communication difficulties
Purchasing schools receive direct support from a dedicated ‘named’ teacher. Each term the school’s SENCO and ‘named’ CLD teacher will hold a planning meeting and agree how best to use the hours purchased.
The CLD Team can offer a range of support including:
- Pupil assessments and observation exercises – accompanying reports include advice and support on appropriate teaching strategies and interventions.
- Assessment to inform a referral to the Solihull SpLD Panel (for identification of dyslexia or dyscalculia) or for KS4 exam access arrangements.
- Monitoring and advice to support pupil progress.
- Attendance at meetings with parents and EHC Plan reviews.
- Direct teaching for individual pupils, including modelling of interventions.
- Consultation and advice and training for SENCOs, teachers and auxiliary school staff.
To make a referral to SISS please complete the following online form.