Pay your Housing Benefit overpayment Invoice

An overpayment is caused when you have been paid more Housing Benefit than you are entitled to receive. An invoice, and possibly other notices, will have been sent to you about the overpayment.

How you can pay your Housing Benefit Overpayment Invoice

Make a payment

Please quote your Housing Benefit Overpayment invoice number.

Paying over the telephone

Pay using your debit or credit card by calling 0300 456 0502. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, calls are charged at a local rate. Please quote your Housing Benefit Overpayment Invoice number.

Paying in person

You can make your payment by cash or cheque by visiting Solihull Connect at Theatre Square, Solihull or at Solihull Connect at Coppice Way, Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre. For their opening times please visit our Solihull Connect walk in centres page.

Paying by post

Send your payment to:

Income and Awards
PO Box 1761
The Council House
B91 9RR

Please make cheques and postal orders payable to: Solihull MBC. Please write your Housing Benefit Overpayment Invoice number on the back of your cheque or postal order.

Paying by BACs

Payment should be sent quoting your Housing Benefit Overpayment invoice number to:

Barclays Bank
Sort Code: 20-07-71
Account Number: 50813222

Please note if you do not quote your Housing Benefit Overpayment invoice number when making payment, there will be a delay in your payment reaching your account.

What happens if I don't pay back the overpayment?

We may ask the Department of Works and Pensions to make deductions from a benefit that they pay you. Where the debt remains unpaid, and deductions from benefit are not possible, we may contact either HMRC or your employer to apply a Direct Earning Attachment to your wages.

If a deduction from benefit or Direct Earning Attachment is not possible then your invoice may be sent to a debt collection agency. We can also obtain a County Court Judgement and this allows us to instruct enforcement agents, take bankruptcy proceedings, apply for a charging order or obtain a third party order.

Your credit rating may be affected and in addition to the original amount of the overpayment, you will also be responsible for repaying any additional costs incurred.

Having problems paying your Housing Benefit Overpayment Invoice?

If you are having problems paying, contact the Overpayments Team by:

  • Emailing:
  • Phoning: the Overpayments Team on 0121 704 8078
  • Writing to: Income and Awards, PO Box 1761, Solihull, B91 9RR

Every effort will be made to make a mutually acceptable arrangement.

If you are struggling because of financial difficulties you may find the following information useful:

  • Solihull Community Housing tenants and leaseholds phone 0121 717 1515 or email the Solihull Community Housing Money Advice Team
  • Email Solihull First for Advice and Support or phone 0121 709 7590
  • Visit National Debtline

What if I disagree with the overpayment?

If you have questions about how the overpayment has been calculated please contact the Awards Team by:

  • Emailing:
  • Phoning: Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8200
  • Writing to: Income and Awards, PO Box 8118, Solihull, B91 9WZ