Do I need Building Regulations approval?
Building Control Inspections
We no longer will be providing a same day service for site inspections requested from Monday 2 July 2018. Inspections will need to be requested by 4.00pm on the working day before the day your inspection is required.
As a homeowner, you're responsible for your home and any related building work. Works to your home, or the creation of new structures, will most likely need approval. Building Regulations ensure a building is accessible to all and safe for use, and that fuel and power is conserved.
It is likely that even minor home improvements will require Building Regulations consent. This can be an extremely complex subject, please get in touch if you want to discuss Building Regulations for your project.
What common home improvements require approval?
Most house extensions will require approval. Other popular home improvements that require approval include:
- loft conversions
- dormer window or roof light installation
- structural alterations such as the removal of a load bearing wall or chimney breast
- new electrical installations
- plastering to more than 25% of a wall
- work on, or new doors or windows in, a load bearing wall
- new bathrooms
- staircase repositioning
- window and door replacement by non BSI, CERTASS or FENSA approved installers
- new chimney or flue installations and flue works
- underpinning of foundations
- re-roofing to more than 25% of the roof
- septic tank installations
- cavity wall insulation
This is not a complete list however. If you're unsure whether you require Building Regulations approval please email us or call 0121 704 8008.
What common home improvements do not require approval?
There are a number of common improvements that do not require approval, such as:
- all work completed by a member of a Competent Person Scheme
- most conservatories, car ports, detached garages and porches
- typical garden sheds
- garden fences and walls
This is again not a complete list and if you’re unsure whether approval is needed, it is always best to email us or call 0121 704 8008.
The Planning Portal is also a good source of information for many areas of Building Regulations approval and Planning Permission. With easy to understand online manuals and interactive guides, common home refurbishment projects are well covered, whilst it also provides: