Guide to the EHC assessment process

How to request an EHC Assessment

A request to the Local Authority to carry out an EHC assessment for a child or young person between 0 and 25, can be made by:

  • a school or post 16 education provision (ideally with the knowledge and agreement of the parent or young person)
  • the child’s parent 
  • a young person over 16 and under 25
  • other people (ref SEND code of practice 0 to 25 years 9.9 & 9.10)

Please note, a child must live in Solihull in order for Solihull Council to carry out an assessment.

Request for a statutory education, health and care assessment

The following pages will provide information about how the different stages of assessment are carried out and what parents and professionals can expect.

Child’s View

Listening to the child’s views is essential.

Solihull Council has a comprehensive and explicit approach to incorporating child’s voice within the work they do and within the EHCP process.

School Resources

  • My Support Plan - document for schools to evidence their plan do review process to ensure a youngsters needs are met either within School based provision or with access to other professionals. This document should be used prior to an application for statutory assessment to evidence a graduated approach to meeting a child/young persons needs.
  • Request for EHC Needs Assessment - My Support Plan - request form to be used by schools. To be used in conjunction with My Support Plan.