There is a lot of help available if you have a hearing impairment. If you are living with deafness or experiencing hearing loss, there are services available from local organisations and providers, as well as national organisations working in and around Solihull.
BID Services for the deaf
BID Services Solihull is a charity working with people with hearing loss and deafness. It is paid by Solihull Council to help people that are deaf and hard of hearing, including deafened people living with additional needs such as physical disabilities, visual impairments and mental health conditions.
BID Services provides a range of support services. These can help you live independently, promote your right to make your own decisions and help you to make your own choices with the right support. Services offered to deaf, deafened and hard of hearing adults in Solihull include:
- assistive equipment for use in the home (following an assessment)
- information, advice and guidance drop-in every Monday, Thursday and Friday at Chelmsley Wood Community Advice Hub
- home visits if you or the person you care for is unable to travel
- employment training and support
Care Plus from BID
Care Plus is a specialist care and support service to help deaf, deafened, hard of hearing and deafblind adults stay independent. There are a range of services designed to help you, whether you live in your own home or in a residential home. Care Plus can help you in a number of ways, including:
- getting out and about
- going shopping
- light gardening jobs
- paying bills
The Care Plus service also tackles loneliness and isolation with companionship and befriending.
You can choose to:
- contact BID Services by visiting their information, advice and guidance drop-in every Monday, Thursday and Friday at Chelmsley Wood Community Advice Hub
- go to the BID Services Solihull website
- email BID at email@example.com
- call BID Services Solihull on voice call phone number 0121 246 6100
- get in touch with BID Services Solihull textphone and minicom number 0121 246 6101
- call on your mobile to BID Services Solihull mobile phone number 07736 126 727
Coping with hearing problems in Solihull
If you are finding things a little more difficult to hear at home than before, it may help to look at useful gadgets, clever devices and a host of equipment to help you around the home
You can also take a look at how you can find other help with living at home.
If things are becoming harder for you when you are out and about too, help is also available, including a range of transport options to help you stay active and social with your friends.
Additionally, there are a number of national organisations which supply essential help and advice for people experiencing hearing loss and their carers. You can visit their own websites:
- Action on Hearing Loss (formerly the RNID)
- British Deaf Association
- The National Association of Deafened People
Community Advice Hubs
Visiting your local Community Advice Hub could put you in contact with the right support and information to help with your loss of hearing.
The hubs are also able to provide advice to carers.
You can visit the hubs in:
When things become too difficult
Solihull Council can provide care and support for people experiencing sensory loss. This includes those who are living with hearing loss and deafness.
If you are finding it very difficult to live safely at home and are concerned, you should contact BID Services.
A qualified worker will work with you, and your carer or representative if you would like, to discuss your needs and identify how to help.
The assessment process will discuss what support you need to let you live your life in the best way possible, from understanding your care and support needs to helping maintain and improve your personal wellbeing.