Visual impairment, sight loss and blindness

There is a lot of help available if you have sight loss, from local organisations and providers, the community and voluntary sector and services offered by national organisations working in your local area.

Registering as sight impaired or blind

If your vision is starting to impact on your everyday life and is not fully corrected by glasses or contact lenses, it may be helpful to register as sight impaired, partially sighted or blind with the RNIB.

If you register as blind, Solihull Adult Social Care team will be told. This will let the team provide the help and advice, including:

  • support to stay safe at home
  • help with walking and preventing falls
  • getting out and about and staying active

You can find out more about registering your sight loss, how to register and the advantages of registering as blind or partially sighted from the RNIB website.

You should also tell your doctor as soon as possible. Your GP will be able to assess your condition and, if necessary, make a referral to the Ophthalmology Department at Solihull Hospital (this takes you to the NHS website).

BID Services

BID Services is a charity which works in partnership with people with sensory impairments including visual impairment.

Solihull Sensory Service

BID provides a range of specialist support services to help you live independently and make your own choices with the right support. They can help with:

  • social work services for people over 17 - including assessments, support planning and signposting to other services
  • assistive equipment - BID can help you assess equipment you can use in your home
  • rehabilitation - including mobility training and basic living skills

You can find out more and contact BID Services by:

Living with sight problems in Solihull

If you are finding things a little more difficult around the home than previously you may find that equipment to help you around the home helps make things easier.

If things are becoming harder for you when you are out and about too, exploring what transport options and schemes are available could be a great help too.

There are also a number of national organisations which supply essential help and advice for people experiencing sight loss and their carers:

  • Guide Dogs can help you get out and about and have completely changed the lives for many blind and partially sighted people over the years

Community Advice Hubs

Visiting your local Community Advice Hub could put you in contact with the best support and activities to help you live with the loss of vision. The hubs also offer support to you if you are carer.

You can visit the hubs in:

When things become difficult

Solihull Council can provide care and support for people experiencing sensory loss. This includes those who are living with sight loss.

If you are finding it very difficult to live safely at home and are concerned, you can contact the Solihull adult social care team to request an assessment.

A qualified worker will work with you, and your carer or representative if you would like, to discuss your needs and identify how to help.

The assessment will take place in your own home or wherever is most convenient for you. Alternatively, you can complete an assessment online or visit your local hub for support to complete your assessment.

The assessment process will discuss what support you need to let you live your life in the best way possible, from understanding your care and support needs to helping maintain and improve your personal wellbeing.