In addition to competitive starting salaries, we are proud to provide a varied benefits package that rewards hard work and commitment. We appreciate that everyone’s circumstances are different, so we offer a wide range of benefits with options to suit your individual needs.
The benefits offered by schools and Solihull Community Housing may vary.
Generous annual leave
We offer 24 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays. This will increase to 25 days from April 2023.
After five years' service your entitlement increases to 29 days. We also offer the opportunity to buy up to 10 days of additional leave per year.
Depending on your role, we offer flexi-time; a flexible way of working which allows you to build up an additional 24 days’ leave each year, helping you to balance your home and work life.
Full, part-time and job share roles
Whilst many of our vacancies are advertised as full-time, we encourage conversations about flexible working and will consider part-time working and job share where these options meet the needs of the service.
Family and carer friendly policies
We are signed up to the Carer Friendly Employer Pledge, recognising the key role that unpaid carers provide in our communities and the challenges of combining this with employment.
We have a range of leave options for families, including:
- maternity and adoption
- shared parental leave
- carers’ leave
Health and wellbeing
We care about the physical and mental health of our employees and offer a wide range of advice, guidance and support across the Council to ensure a positive work-life balance.
- our Employee Assistance Programme - a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
- advice and support from mental health first aiders and wellbeing leads
- mental health training for managers
- menopause training, guidance and support
- wellbeing newsletter and events throughout the year
- discounted gym membership
- the opportunity to contribute to a corporate health care cash plan to support everyday health care costs, including dental and optical check-ups and professional therapy treatments
- regular eye tests for PC users and a seasonal flu vaccination programme for front line workers
Working with our benefits provider gives access to a huge range of discounts and cash back from the UK's major retailers including supermarkets, technology, fashion, travel and more.
Working in Solihull also makes our people eligible for the Solihull BID privilege card which gives exclusive access to offers and discounts in over 140 businesses across Solihull.
We support sustainable travel through:
- discounted annual travel cards for National Express West Midlands and Transport for West Midlands
- a Cycle2Work Scheme where you can buy a cycle and accessories and pay through your salary, saving up to 42% on the original cost
Learning and development
We encourage our employees to grow and develop during their time at Solihull Council and offer a range of learning and development opportunities, including:
- support from your manager through regular one to ones and annual performance and development reviews (PDR) based on individual needs
- a dedicated training and development programme and access to Learning Pool - a wide range of accessible eLearning modules and face to face courses.
- coaching and mentoring opportunities
- secondment opportunities
- support studying for industry qualifications and apprenticeships where relevant to the post