- Applications have opened for volunteers to join the cast of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. If you are based in the West Midlands and are passionate about music, dance and can move to a beat, apply now to be in with a chance to be part of something spectacular this summer.
- Successful applicants will perform in front of a full capacity audience in Birmingham’s newly redeveloped Alexander Stadium, and a worldwide broadcast audience of up to one billion people, in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
- Anyone 18 + with an interest in performance is encouraged to apply for one of 2,000 volunteer roles.
- Applications close on Monday 7 February 2022.
The organisers of Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games have begun the search to find the volunteer cast, athlete hosts, and existing choirs who will bring this summer’s Opening and Closing Ceremonies to life.
The Birmingham 2022 Ceremonies Team is made up of some of the finest West Midlands creative talent, including, theatre director Iqbal Khan, award-winning writer Maeve Clarke, rapper Joshua 'RTKal' Holness, and Peaky Blinders creator, Steven Knight. This team is calling for the most ambitious, outgoing, and dedicated local people to apply to be part of the performance that opens and closes the biggest sporting celebration since the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Cllr Karen Grinsell, Deputy Leader of Solihull Council, said:
“Solihull is playing a big part in the Games – we’re hosting top athletes in six events at the NEC this summer. As well as buying tickets for events on our doorstep, there are lots of ways to get involved. Last week I asked you to get behind the Batonbearer nominations. This week we’re putting out a call for performers, choirs and hosts for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Please get your applications in and be part of history!”
Creative Director, Iqbal Khan said:
“The Games are getting very real now, and we need to find the best of this region’s vibrant talent to help us truly bring the creative vision and ambition we have for these Ceremonies, to life.
Performing at the Commonwealth Games is a once in generation opportunity – so get ready to show us what you’ve got if you want to represent your city and region on the biggest global stage.”
Nadine Dorries, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said:
"The Opening and Closing Ceremonies will be fantastic highlights of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. This is a unique opportunity to play a special role in the biggest sporting and cultural event ever staged in the West Midlands so I would encourage anyone in the region with an interest in performance to get involved."
These volunteer performers will be at the heart of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and aspiring talent is being urged to apply for one of 2,000 opportunities on offer. Specifically, the organisers of the Ceremonies hope to find:
- People who can move to a beat to join the volunteer cast who will be in the majority of the show. Additionally, they are also looking for people with some of the following specialist skills; amateur circus, dance, ballet or parkour enthusiasts, so please do tell them what you can do.
- Welcoming and friendly people to act as Athletes Hosts who will welcome the athletes that are taking part in the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. This would particularly appeal to those who want to be part of the ceremony but don’t want to be on stage.
- Established choirs who can join together, to form a truly one off, mass choir.
To be part of the cast, applicants must be able to participate in a movement and dance-based audition that will take place in Birmingham, between 1 March and 13 March 2022. In addition, applicants must be able to commit to regular rehearsal sessions beginning in May 2022, running all the way up to each Ceremony.
The established choirs must have previous singing and performing experience and be able to learn show material from March and commit to regular rehearsal sessions beginning in July 2022, running all the way up to each Ceremony.
Athletes Hosts will be required to attend three rehearsals in July prior to the Opening Ceremony and one rehearsal before the Closing Ceremony in August. Interviews will take place between 1 March and 13 March 2022.
For all roles a full attendance schedule will be provided to successful applicants before they accept the role.
Applicants can find more information and register their interest for this opportunity by completing the online application form at www.birmingham2022.com/ceremonies The deadline for receipt of applications is 23:59 on Monday 7 February 2022. To be eligible, applicants must be aged 18 years or older on 1 March 2022 (with the exception of the established choirs who have members aged 16 and over on 1 March 2022).
Only one application per person or one application per choir will be accepted. A maximum total of 3,000 people will be invited to audition as an individual performer or as an athlete host. Successful choirs will be curated to form a mass choir.