Important update for direct debit payers: If you do not receive your rebate in line with the expected dates below, it may be due to an issue caused by the name on the registered bank account differing from the lead name on the Council Tax bill.
Do not worry if this is the case, you will still be able to receive the £150 rebate. Solihull Council will send you a letter by the end of April 2022 with details of how to apply online for your rebate, following the same process as described below for residents who do not pay via direct debit.
Receiving your energy rebate
Following the Chancellor’s announcement on 3 February 2022, households in England in Council Tax bands A to D will receive a one-off payment £150 energy bill rebate from April 2022 to help with rising energy costs.
Households in Council Tax bands A to D (or a band E property qualifying for the disabled band reduction scheme) on 1 April 2022 will receive the rebate in one of the following ways, depending on how they currently pay their Council Tax:
If you do not pay Council Tax by direct debit, or have recently set up a direct debit for your Council Tax but payments will not begin in April:
- You will receive a letter by the end of April with details of how to apply online for your rebate.
- If you are unable to apply online, the letter will also detail how you can get in touch with us so we can assist in making your application for you.
- Once you have applied online, you can expect to receive your rebate directly into your bank account approximately 14 working days after application.
If your Council Tax payments will be paid by direct debit on 1 April:
- You do not need to do anything else and can expect your rebate to be paid into your bank account during the week commencing Monday 11 April 2022 .
If your Council Tax payments will be paid by direct debit on 15 April:
- You do not need to do anything else and can expect your rebate to be paid directly into your bank account during the week commencing Monday 25 April 2022.
Please note: due to bank processing times, it may take 3-5 working days for the payment to show in your account once it has been issued.
You will still be eligible for the rebate if:
- you receive 100% Council Tax Reduction
- your property is exempt from Council Tax because it is occupied by students
- your property is exempt from Council Tax as it is occupied only by a person under 18
- your property is exempt from Council Tax as it is occupied by people who are severely mentally impaired
- your property is exempt from Council Tax as it is an annexe occupied by a dependant relative
Please note that houses in multiple occupation (HMO) do not qualify for this rebate.
The dates stated above may be subject to change.
Households not eligible for this scheme may still be eligible for the Discretionary Scheme. Details will be released on our website soon.
Further details of the Energy Rebate Scheme can be found here.