Solihull Independent Travel Training (ITT)
ITT is a service that teaches children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) to travel safely with independence and confidence.
- free personalised 1:1 training from a qualified travel trainer
- develop important life skills to travel safely and independently
- learn how to travel to school on a safely planned route
Who is eligible?
To qualify for Independent Travel Training you must:
- be aged 11 to 16
- live in the Solihull Borough
- travel on Solihull Council provided transport
- live no more than 1 hour and 15 minutes from school using public transport (however this is dependent on the students’ ability)
How does Independent Travel Training work?
- travel training takes place every school day in the morning and afternoon
- a travel trainer will support the student very closely, travelling with them door to door
- as the student gains more confidence and independence, support is gradually reduced until the student is able to complete the journey safely, confidently and independently
- when the student is ready to become an independent traveller, a different travel trainer will observe the student on their journey
- the student can then be signed off as an independent traveller or further work may be needed to develop the student's skills further
- on completion of travel training the Education Transport Team will decide your most suitable method of transport assistance
As well as learning skills to travel on public transport we cover a range of other topics including:
- stranger awareness
- personal safety
- road safety
Bespoke in school workshops can be organised by your travel trainer.
How to apply for Independent Travel Training
To apply for ITT follow the link to our online application form.
View our Solihull Independent Travel Training Autumn 2019 newsletter.
Once we have received your application a travel trainer will contact you to arrange a sign up meeting.
A suitable journey from your home to school will be planned and risk assessed.
Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET) Travel Training Team
We now provide training for people aged between 15 to 29 who qualify as NEET. These are personalised one to one sessions based around an individual's specific needs.
Who is eligible?
To qualify you must:
- be aged 15 to 29
- reside in Solihull or Birmingham
- be NEET at the time of referral
- have the right to work in the UK