The redevelopment of Kingshurst is a once in a generation opportunity to create a high quality, community focussed centre at the heart of this important Solihull neighbourhood.
As the third local centre to be regenerated in North Solihull, Kingshurst will build on the success of previous schemes at Chelmund’s Cross and Smith’s Wood. The redeveloped centre will help ensure that Kingshurst becomes a sustainable, well integrated community with enhanced potential to benefit from its close proximity to the economic opportunities at the airport, NEC and the rest of the UK Central Hub.
Kingshurst Village Centre will be redesigned to a high standard so that it offers a range of local services and plays a strong role in building further social capital and local pride.
Since Outline Planning Permission was granted in December 2020, work has continued to develop the detailed design for Kingshurst Village Centre, including a range of detailed technical assessments.
Ongoing consultation with key stakeholders, including health sector and community partners, has been taking place and the masterplan has evolved to reflect these requirements. Community responses to consultation on the previous masterplan have also been considered and used to inform the latest plans.
Based on the updated masterplan the new village centre could contain:
- 79 sustainable homes (the majority being social rented through Solihull Community Housing) all built to Lifetime Homes standards
- New vicarage for St Barnabas Church
- 2,001 m2 health uses and community space, including GP, dentist and pharmacy; a Community Wellness Hub
- 1,207 m2 providing modern, flexible space for a range of retail and high street uses
- High quality public realm and enhanced links to Kingshurst Park and Kingshurst Primary School
- 75 car parking spaces to support the new local centre, community space and the Church
- New internal road layout linking Over Green Drive and Colling Walk
- Sustainable Urban Drainage (SuDS) and landscaping throughout
A Full Planning Application based on this updated Masterplan has now been submitted which is subject to a 13-week determination period. A decision is expected to be made by the end of February 2022.
You can view the Full Planning application and associated planning documents on the online planning portal, using the following reference: PL/2021/03072/MAJFDW