Nature of work
Support teams that provide education comprise of:
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Education Service for Children Out of School (ESCOS)
- Music Service
- Virtual School
They provide specialised education and/or educational support, in specific circumstances, to children, families and schools. They also train school staff to enable them to better support pupils; produce reports and liaise with other agencies such as the Statutory Assessment and Review Team (START) and Specialist Inclusion Support Service (SISS). This also includes working with social workers to initiate a Personal Education Plan (PEP) in relation to Looked After Children (LAC), and ensuring that school shave the required paperwork to support the PEP as well as attending meetings as required.
Why we need your information
To enable us to provide education to children who have English as an additional language, or have requested music tuition, or children who cannot attend school because of health needs and an interim education for those designated as missing education for whom the authority is seeking an appropriate placement. We also liaise with other agencies i.e. Health visitors, SISS, Speech and Language. In addition we provide training to schools and teachers.
We also assist social workers in initiating an education plan for looked after children aged 3-18 years; to ensure school have the required paperwork, to ensure a looked after pupil is receiving all appropriate educational support.
Type/Classes of information processed
Where relevant we process a variety of information relating to individuals including:
- Pupil details
- Family details
- Education details
- Health information
- Information from other agencies (internal or external)
- School staff – Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks
We also process what is referred to as special categories of information that may include data revealing:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Religious beliefs
Who information is processed about
We process information about:
- Child/Young person
- Provider/school staff
- Other agencies (such as social care or health)
Who information may be shared with
Where necessary or required we share information with:
- Family (applicant)
- Education Settings
- Internal services such SISS, START, Social Care
- External agencies such as health, for example Speech and Language Therapy
How long we will keep your information
- EAL information is kept until subject is 18 years old.
- Music service and education for children out of school information is retained until subject is 25 years old.
- Information relating to Looked After Children is kept for 75 years.