Licensing services available during COVID-19
Solihull Licensing walk in centre is currently closed.
Please see FAQ's during Covid-19
If you need to contact the Licensing team please email email@example.com.
To apply for a licence you will require:
- a full UK driving licence held for at least 2 years
- eligibility to work in the UK, applicants should note we will only accept Residency Permits if they are valid for a minimum of 12 months
- when you submit your application you will need to provide proof of eligibility to work in the UK, i.e. your current passport and any relevant visas or work permits if the passport is not British. If you do not hold a current passport please contact us for further advice
- no unspent criminal convictions. To check if your conviction is spent, please refer to guidance on rehabilitation periods
Failure to disclose full details of any previous convictions or cautions may result in your application being refused. Therefore if you have any previous cautions or convictions, spent or not, and you cannot remember the dates or sentence received, then you should go to your local police station and ask for a Police National Computer (PNC) check.
The Police National Computer is one of the main sources of information accessed when a Disclosure and Barring Service check is made. The Police National Computer holds indefinite records of a person's convictions and cautions which will be revealed in a Disclosure and Barring Service check. The police may charge for this information.
Before you apply
Before submitting your application you must complete the following:
- driving assessment with the Blue Lamp Trust
- disability awareness training with Solihull College
- medical with our approved doctor
You can view a visual overview of the application process.
You can book your driving or wheelchair assessment online with the Blue Lamp Trust.
The Blue Lamp Trust helpline can be contacted on 0333 700 0157. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3.00pm.
Once you pass the driving assessment your certificate will be valid for 12 months.
- finding out what a disability is
- understanding our legal obligations
- developing practical guidelines for interacting with disabled people
The course consists of 3 hours classroom based study and a 45 minute test and costs £50. Once you pass the disability course your certificate will be valid for 12 months.
To book a place please call 0121 678 7000.
First of all, get your own GP to complete a Medical History Form. Your GP may charge for this service.
Then make a medical appointment with our approved doctor at Coventry Road Medical Practice
- Telephone: 0121 743 2154
Completed medicals will be valid for 1 month.
Apply for a licence
To apply download an application for a hackney carriage drivers licence.
You must deliver your form by hand to our Licensing Office:
SMBC Central Depot - Block F
Office opening times:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 9.30am to 2.00pm
- Wednesday - closed
Please note that children are not allowed at the depot.
New applicants must attend the office before 1.00pm to submit your application.
Please remember to bring a recent passport photograph with you.
You must have completed the application process within 3 months (unless there are exceptional circumstances), otherwise it will be cancelled.
Disclosure and barring service (DBS) disclosure
Before attending the licensing office to submit a new application or renew your badge, you must submit an online DBS disclosure (Once you have clicked on the link enter LICTEA within the 'Organisation Reference' box and leave the 'Password' box blank).
Follow all the steps, and at the end of the process, make a note of the reference number you are given. When you come in to renew your badge, bring the reference number with you along with supporting documents. These should be your passport if you have one, photocard driving licence, and at least 2 of the following:
- Recent bank statement
- credit card statement dated within 3 months
- utility bills ( for example, gas, electric or water) also dated within 3 months
- a recent Council Tax statement.
We no longer accept paper disclosure application forms.
Your driving licence
While we no longer need the paper counterpart of your DVLA driving licence, we still need to check your entitlement to drive and whether you have any motoring convictions.
You must obtain a check code from the DVLA website which allows us to check the status of your driving licence.
We've prepared instructions on how to obtain a check code.
Once you have submitted your application you will be invited to attend a Suitability Assessment.
The assessment will involve a mix of verbal, written and multiple choice questions on the following subjects:
- highway code
- vehicle and driver conditions
- customer service
- driver safety
- taxi specific laws and regulations
- how to license a vehicle
- vehicle maintenance
- after you have been granted a licence
If you fail the test, you can re-take it 2 more time and a re-test fee will be charged. If you fail three times your application will be cancelled. You may however, re-apply at any time.
You will also be required to take a Hackney carriage knowledge test.
Fees and charges
View our complete fees and charges.
The preferred methods of payment are card or cheque. Cash payments can be taken at:
Hackney carriage licences
If you hold a Hackney carriage licence the following forms are available
- renew a Hackney carriage driver's licence
- hackney carriage/private hire - change of owner
- private hire duplicate plate/badge application
- notification of change of address
If you hold a licence and move address you must notify us in writing. You must also ensure that you obtain an updated driving Licence from the DVLA.
You can contact us by:
- telephone: 0121 704 6830
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org