From 1 April 2021 there are no changes to our Council Tax Reduction Scheme.
You can view a full copy of our Council Tax Reduction scheme for 2021/22.
Council Tax Reduction has replaced Council Tax benefit. You will get money off your Council Tax bill if you qualify.
You may qualify for Council Tax Reduction if:
- you are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill
- you are on a low income or claiming benefits
You cannot get Council Tax Reduction if you or your partner jointly, have more than £16,000 in savings and capital. However, if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit) you may still qualify.
You can use our online benefits calculator to get an estimate of what you could get.
The details that you enter are automatically added to our online claim form, helping you to save time later on.
Second adult reduction
If you are of pensionable age you may be able to claim second adult reduction. This is a reduction in your Council Tax that can be provided if you have another adult living with you who:
- is 18 or over
- is not your partner
- doesn’t have to pay you rent or board
- is on a low income or gets certain benefits
- doesn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax
You can check your state pension age at Gov.UK.
You must apply for the reduction rather than the second adult
How much second adult reduction will you get?
If the second adult is on benefits
If the second adult in your home is getting one of the following benefits, you will get a 25% reduction on your eligible Council Tax:
- Income Support
- Pension Credit
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
If the second adult isn't on one of the benefits listed above
- if the second adult's gross weekly income is up to £214.99 you will get a 15% reduction on your Council Tax
- if their gross weekly income is between £215.00 and £278.99 you will get a 7.5% reduction
- if their gross weekly income is more than £279.00 you won't be entitled to a second adult reduction
How to apply
You can apply for Council Tax Reduction online.
Alternatively please telephone Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8200 if you have any queries regarding completion of the form.
Changes to your circumstances
You must let us know about a change in circumstances straight away. Failure to do so could result in an overpayment of reduction which will have to be repaid and your claim may be cancelled.
If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.
Our Council Tax reduction schemes
You can view our Council Tax Reduction schemes from previous years: