Renting from a private landlord

Renting from a private landlord can be an excellent option, provided that you understand exactly what you’re signing up for.

We advise you to:

  • ask for a written tenancy agreement which makes clear who pays the utility bills, arrangements for paying and reviewing the rent, and how long the tenancy is for
  • check that your landlord has complied with the law in relation to gas and electrical safety and energy performance certificates, and that your deposit is protected

What if something goes wrong?

The majority of landlords are responsible and professional, so you should discuss your concerns with them as soon as possible. If you can’t resolve the problem, get independent advice from a solicitor or the Citizens’ Advice Bureau.

If you’re worried about the state or safety of a property you can report your concerns by calling 0121 704 8000.

If you are having trouble paying the rent there are organisations that can help, don't stop paying as you could be evicted. 

If you’re being harassed by your landlord or threatened with illegal eviction, we may be able to help. You can speak to us by calling 0121 704 8000.

Renting rooms with a resident landlord

Renting with a resident landlord means that the landlord lives in a different part of the same building. You could be a lodger renting just a room, or you could be renting several rooms or a self-contained flat within the landlord’s home. Your rights are more limited than those of other tenants, so it’s important to know where you stand.

Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)

If you rent a room or part of a house occupied by other tenants, it’s known as a house in multiple occupation (HMO). It’s important to make sure that the building is safe and properly managed.