Do I need Planning Permission?

To find out whether you need planning permission you can:

Common Householder Projects

The Planning Portal is an excellent source of information for anything to do with Planning Permission, and can also help with Building Regulations. With interactive guides and instructions about what permissions are most often needed, you can learn about:

Commercial or Other projects

The Planning Portal also provides information surrounding other larger and commercial properties, you can learn about:

We offer pre-application advice for new commercial developments if you do require planning permission.

Building Control Inspections

Most building work on your home will require Building Regulations approval before going ahead too. Essentially ensuring a building is safe and fit for use, it 's important to learn:


Demolition of a building is generally not classed as ‘development’ and therefore planning permission is not usually needed. However, the demolition of certain buildings will need approval from the local planning authority beforehand.

Other permissions you may need

You may also require additional permission, such as listed building consent, planning permission for demolition in a conservation area or TPO consent. The Planning Portal can also help you check what you need to do about: