Visit the Recycling Centre (tip)
Temporary Closure of M42
Friday 7 August to Monday 10 August 2020 - Potential for travel disruption around Bickenhill HWRC due to traffic diversions
The M42 will be temporarily closed from Junction 6 -7 from the evening of Friday 7 August to the morning of Monday 10 August 2020. If you are planning to visit the HWRC over this weekend please be prepared for potentially increased levels of traffic and queues.
For more details on the M42 closure please visit our HS2 page.
Bickenhill Household Waste Recycling Centre
Long waiting times to use the Household Waste Recycling Centre
Due to changes to the site layout to comply with social distancing requirements - it is taking longer for vehicles to pass through the site. Estimated queue times are between 2 to 3 hours.
To reduce impact on local traffic please do not queue past the 3 hour wait sign. Please consider whether your visit is necessary and whether you can store your waste at home.
You should only use the site if you pay your council tax to Solihull Council.
Bickenhill HWRC is only available to residents of Solihull, if you pay your council tax to another authority you should not use the site.
Only five vehicles will be allowed access onto the site at one time. This may lead to long queues and delays.
Only visit the HWRC if you have waste that you cannot safely store at home. All kerbside collections are operating normally and bulky waste collections are also available to book. Most household waste can be disposed of through these services.
The site is very busy and there will be queues to access it, therefore we recommend that you delay your visit for as long as possible. If you have accumulated a lot of waste at home please consider hiring a skip to dispose of the waste before visiting the HWRC.
We have made some changes to how the site operates to enable us to comply with social distancing and protect the site staff and other site users. Please read and follow the instructions below.
- please sort your items before visiting the site to minimise the time you need to spend there
- please stay 2m away from site staff and other site users
- only one person allowed out of the car on site
- no assistance will be given on site - therefore please only take what you can personally carry
- vehicles which use a permit can only access the site Monday, Wednesday to Saturday from 10am to 2pm. Tuesday access from 10am until 15 minutes before close (dependant on summer/winter opening times) No access will be allowed on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
- please wash your hands before visiting the site, wear gloves where possible and wash/sanitise your hands following your visit to the site
- do not visit the site if you have any Covid-19 like symptoms
- for the safety of site staff and site users our staff will be wearing body cameras and there will be security managing access to the site
It is vital that queuing vehicles do not restrict access to the highway therefore please adhere to the signage on the slip road and instructions from site staff.
You may be asked to leave the queue if it is impacting the highway or if you will be unable to enter the site before it closes - please follow the advice from our site staff and security.
The site will operate a one vehicle in/one vehicle out system - only enter the site when instructed to by site staff operating the STOP-GO board.
Abuse of our site staff will not be tolerated. Please respect our site staff and other site users during these challenging times. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.