Changes to recycling and waste collection rounds
From Monday 27 March 2023, we will be changing some of our recycling and waste collection rounds.
Not all properties will be affected by the changes. We will be sending a postcard to the properties whose collections will be changing.
You need to pre-book an appointment to visit the site
You can visit Bickenhill Household Waste and Recycling Centre (HWRC), to dispose of and recycle things that can’t fit in your bins/sacks or that we can’t collect through your kerbside collection service.
Bickenhill HWRC is only available to people who live in Solihull, so if you pay your council tax to another authority you should not use the site.
- You will need to book an appointment to use the HWRC and get a reference number.
- You will need to show proof of residency in Solihull such as a utility bill when you arrive – this can be a paper or electronic copy (on your mobile phone or other device).
- Please park in the designated bay as directed.
Each appointment slot is 15 minutes. This is to try to make sure that every household that needs to use the service can book a slot.
The booking week runs from Monday to Sunday. Bookings need to made more than 24 hours in advance.
If there are no slots available please check again at a later date as new slots are released daily.
Please pre-sort recycling and waste at home for a quick turnaround time to help the site remain on schedule.
There is a different form if you are visiting the site in a permitted vehicle.
Book an appointment - visiting in a permitted vehicle
Help with booking an appointment or cancelling can be found in our FAQ's section.
Book an appointment - visiting in a hire vehicle
If you are planning to use a hire vehicle to visit the site, please contact us on 0121 704 8000.
Opening hours and directions
Bickenhill Household Waste and Recycling Centre
You can get directions to the site using Google Maps.
Opening hours for Bickenhill tip
Before visiting Bickenhill tip please check our opening times.
Our summer hours are from 1 April to 31 October.
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm
- Tuesday from 9.00am to 6.30pm
- Weekends from 9.00am to 4.30pm
Our winter hours are from 1 November to 31 March.
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.00am to 4.00pm
- Tuesday from 9.00am to 5.30pm
- Weekends from 9.00am to 4.00pm
Information to assist with your visit
- Please sort your items before visiting the site to minimise the time you need to spend there. Our site plan will also help you to plan your visit
- Vehicles which use a permit can only access the site Monday, Wednesday to Saturday from 10.00am to 2.00pm. Tuesday access from 10.00am until 15 minutes before close (dependant on summer/winter opening times) No access will be allowed on Sundays and Bank Holidays
- Please wash your hands before visiting the site, wear gloves where possible and wear sensible footwear
- For the safety of site staff and site users our staff may be wearing body cameras
What you can and cannot recycle
You can take the following items to the recycling centre:
- mobile phones
- small appliances
- mixed light bulbs
- hardcore and rubble
- wood and timber
- scrap metal
- used engine oil
- household waste
- mixed textiles and clothes
- cooking oil
- hand tools
- gas bottles
- garden waste
- mixed recycling
- mixed glass bottles and jars
Sorting your recycling before you visit the recycling centre can help you save time.
We will not accept:
- trade or commercial waste
- liquid waste
If you plan on visiting site in a commercial-type vehicle such as a van or a pick-up, camper-type van or if you are towing a large trailer you will need a permit.
Visit our permits page to apply or find out if your vehicle needs a permit.
The waste you take to the HWRC must come from a Solihull address.
You will also need a permit if you have hazardous household waste, to dispose of such as pesticides.
If your furniture is still in good condition why not donate it to charity or post your unwanted items on a reuse network.
Please refer to our Asbestos Permit page for details of how to safely dispose of asbestos, alternately you can use an approved contractor to do this.