You can visit Bickenhill Household Recycling Centre, also known as the tip, to recycle things that can’t go in your black wheelie bin or garden waste.
Bickenhill HWRC is only available to residents of Solihull, if you pay your council tax to another authority you should not use the site.
You will need to book an appointment to use the HWRC.
Each appointment slot will be for 15 minutes. We are limiting visits to one per household per week. This is to try to make sure that every household that needs to use the service can book a slot.
If there are no available slots please check again at a later date as new slots are released daily.
Please pre-sort recycling and waste at home for a quick turnaround time to keep yourself safe and to help the site remain on schedule.
There is a different form if you are visiting the site in a permitted vehicle.
Help with booking an appointment or cancelling can be found in our FAQ's.
For hired vehicles to be booked into the site, please contact us on 0121 704 8000.
Opening hours and directions
You can find Bickenhill recycling centre at:
Bickenhill Household Recycling Centre
You can find the site using Google Maps.
Opening hours for Bickenhill tip
Before visiting Bickenhill tip please check our opening times.
Our winter hours are from 1 November to 31 March.
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.30am to 4.00pm
- Tuesday from 9.30am to 5.30pm
- Weekends from 8.30am to 4.00pm
Our summer hours are from 1 April to 31 October.
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 9.30am to 5.00pm
- Tuesday from 9.30am to 6.30pm
- Weekends from 8.30am to 4.00pm
The site is closed on:
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Years Day
We are open as normal over bank holidays except Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve when we close at 2.30pm.
Changes due to Coronavirus
We have made some changes to how the site operates to enable us to comply with social distancing and protect the site staff and other site users.
Please read and follow the instructions below.
- please sort your items before visiting the site to minimise the time you need to spend there
- please stay 2m away from site staff and other site users
- only one person allowed out of the car on site
- no assistance will be given on site - therefore please only take what you can personally carry
- vehicles which use a permit can only access the site Monday, Wednesday to Saturday from 10.00am to 2.00pm. Tuesday access from 10.00am until 15 minutes before close (dependant on summer/winter opening times) No access will be allowed on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
- please wash your hands before visiting the site, wear gloves where possible and wash/sanitise your hands following your visit to the site
- do not visit the site if you have any Covid-19 like symptoms
- for the safety of site staff and site users our staff will be wearing body cameras
- see our site plan with reopening information
What you can and cannot recycle
You can take the following items to the recycling centre:
- mobile phones
- small appliances
- mixed light bulbs
- hardcore and rubble
- wood and timber
- scrap metal
- used engine oil
- household waste
- mixed textiles and clothes
- cooking oil
- hand tools
- gas bottles
- garden waste
- mixed recycling
- mixed glass bottles and jars
Sorting our your recycling before you get to the recycling centre can help save you time.
We will not accept:
- trade or commercial waste
- liquid waste
If you plan on visiting site in a commercial vehicle such as a van or a pick up or if you are towing a large trailer you will need a permit.
Visit our permits page to apply or find out if your vehicle needs one.
The waste you take to the tip must come from a Solihull address.
You will also need a permit if you plan on getting rid of hazardous household waste, such as pesticides.
Due to restrictions in place due to Covid-19 asbestos permits are currently suspended. If you need to arrange for the urgent removal of asbestos please use an approved contractor.