How we process your application

How we process your application

When you apply for a school place we may ask for proof of your address.

Your address helps us to provide your child with a school place based on a schools catchment area and the distance from your home to a school.

If the address you provide is different to what we have on record we may ask you for proof of where you live

If you are moving house we will use your new address when you have moved into your new home. If you moved some time ago you will need to tell us the date of your move and send us proof that you have left one property and moved to another.

It’s down to you to supply as much proof as possible about your address. The following documents are not a complete list but provides examples of what you can send:

  • Signed and dated tenancy agreement for your new property (tenancy must cover the period from the time of application to the start date at the school) or proof of purchase
  • Proof of sale or renting out your previous property
  • New and final Council Tax bills
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit award letter
  • New utility bills that may show your contact start date and energy usage
  • Final utility bills
  • Driving licence and car insurance
  • Landline phone bill
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • Home insurance
  • Royal Mail post re-direction
  • An invoice for removals

In some circumstances we will make an unannounced visit to your home.

If care is shared between two parents please send a copy of the court order that details who the child lives with the majority of the time.  If care is shared equally or you do not have a court order in place, we will use the address of the parent who receives child benefit.  Recent changes of recipient will not be accepted.  You will need to send us a copy of your child benefit award for the last two years.

When you apply for a school place you are agreeing that anyone else considered a ‘parent’ for your child can be provided with the information within your application including the names of your preferred schools.

If a parent who has not made the application contacts us for information about their child’s place we will ask you if there is a legal reason why this cannot be provided. You will need to provide any court documents within14 days or we will release the information.

If parents disagree about an application it will be placed on hold until an agreement can be reached.  We cannot resolve a dispute between parents. You must come to an agreement yourselves or seek legal advice if this cannot be done.

If the child involved lives in Solihull and does not have a school place within a reasonable distance we will make a short term arrangement so they do not miss out on school.