Council tax reduction

Council Tax Support Fund - additional support for 2023/24

In December 2022 the Government announced further financial support will be provided to households who are in receipt of Local Council Tax Reduction and has an outstanding liability for the 2023-24 financial year which is intended to help with increased Council Tax charges.

A discount of up to £25.00 will be applied to all eligible households. You do not need to make a separate claim for a reduction under this scheme. You do not need to contact us. If you are eligible for this additional support, we will automatically apply the relevant discount to your council tax account.

This will appear on your 2023-24 Council Tax bill as ‘Council Tax Support Fund'. Any new qualifying Council Tax Reduction claims in 2023-24 with an outstanding liability will be awarded up to £25.00 discretionary discount by this Authority. 

Please view our Council Support Fund policy.

From 1 April 2023 there are no changes to our council tax reduction scheme.

You can view a full copy of our council tax reduction scheme for 2023/24.

You may qualify for council tax reduction if:

  • you are responsible for paying the council tax bill
  • you are on a low income or claiming benefits

You cannot get council tax reduction if you or your partner jointly, have more than £16,000 in savings and capital. However, if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit) you may still qualify.

You can use our online benefits calculator to get an estimate of what you could get.

Benefits calculator

The details that you enter are automatically added to our online claim form, helping you to save time later on.

Second adult reduction

If you are of pensionable age you may be able to claim second adult reduction. This is a reduction in your council tax that can be provided if you have another adult living with you who:

  • is 18 or over
  • is not your partner
  • doesn’t have to pay you rent or board
  • is on a low income or gets certain benefits
  • doesn't have joint responsibility with you for paying council tax

You can check your state pension age at Gov.UK.

You must apply for the reduction rather than the second adult

How much second adult reduction will you get?

If the second adult is on benefits

If the second adult in your home is getting one of the following benefits, you will get a 25% reduction on your eligible council tax:

  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)

If the second adult isn't on one of the benefits listed above

  • if the second adult's gross weekly income is up to £243.99, you will get a 15% reduction on your council tax
  • if their gross weekly income is between £244 and £316.99, you will get a 7.5% reduction
  • if their gross weekly income is more than £317 you won't be entitled to a second adult reduction

How to apply

You can apply for council tax reduction online.

Apply for council tax reduction

Alternatively please telephone Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8200 if you have any queries regarding completion of the form.

Changes to your circumstances

You must let us know about a change in circumstances straight away. Failure to do so could result in an overpayment of reduction which will have to be repaid and your claim may be cancelled. 


If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.

Council tax reduction scheme from previous years