Grants and financial support

If you need financial help to meet the cost of essential items in an emergency,  need help with travel for an immediate or unexpected emergency, appointment or crisis situation, help with your rent, have an unforeseen event or you are experiencing exceptional pressures, there are grants and other support you may be eligible for.

Apply online for Discretionary help

You can also download an application form.

Our directory of financial help and community support provides a comprehensive list of local organisations who provide help and advice.

Short term advances

An advance of funds, designed to help people with short term need (for example, waiting for their first benefit payment or following a change of circumstances). The advance is then repaid over a short period of time. Please contact the Department for Work and Pensions:

  • Employment Support Allowance/Job Seekers Allowance (ESA/JSA): 0800 169 0310
  • Carers Allowance: 0800 731 0297
  • State Retirement Pension/Pension Credit: 0800 731 0469
  • Universal Credit: 0800 328 5644

Or go to

Help with Food and Fuel

If you require assistance with food and fuel due to financial hardship or exceptional pressure you can find support available at our Here2Help page.

Charitable funds

Charitable funds can include grants, essential items, food or cash to help in a crisis or emergency. You can search for available funds by visiting or call 0808 802 2000.


If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.