Housing benefit

Housing benefit review

The Department for Work and Pensions have introduced a requirement for all Local Authorities to review and validate Housing Benefit claims to ensure current information remains correct.

If we have recently contacted you advising that you have been randomly selected to complete a review, please use the following link to complete your Housing Benefit Review form.

Your letter will include your claim reference and access key.

If you have any queries, please contact our Customer Service Team on 0121 704 8200.

If you are of working age or a mixed age couple (where one of you is over Pension Credit qualifying age and the other is under) you will need to apply for Universal Credit as your housing costs will be paid within your Universal Credit payment unless

  • you are living in specified accommodation
  • you are living in temporary accommodation

If you fall into the above category you must claim Housing Benefit.

You may qualify for Housing Benefit if:

  • you pay rent
  • you are on a low income or claiming benefits

You cannot get Housing Benefit if you or your partner jointly, have more than £16,000 in savings and capital. However, if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit) you may still qualify.

You can use the online benefits calculator at GOV.UK to get an estimate of what you could get.

Benefits calculator

In all cases, if you are liable to pay Council Tax you must apply for Council Tax Reduction from Solihull Council.

Council tenants

There is no set amount of Housing Benefit. As well as your income, savings and rent, we look carefully at your individual circumstances, for example how many children there are in your household, or if anyone has a disability.

We also check if you have any extra bedrooms. Government rules say that if you have a spare bedroom, your Housing Benefit may be reduced. This only applies to people of working age (ie. not yet claiming a state pension). The Department for Work and Pensions has produced a factsheet which explains these rules in detail, and any exceptions or special circumstances.

Private tenants

Housing Benefit for private tenants is a flat rate, based on typical rents in your area (the Local Housing Allowance (LHA)) and the number of bedrooms that you need.

Benefit cap

The welfare system set a maximum amount of money you can receive in benefits. This may affect your Housing Benefit.

Financial support

If you’re experiencing financial difficulties you can find out what grants and support is available.

How to apply

You can apply for housing benefit online.

Apply for Housing Benefit

Alternatively please telephone Solihull Connect on 0121 704 8200 or email us at connectcc@solihull.gov.uk if you have any queries regarding completion of the form.

Change in circumstances

If your circumstances change, you must let us know straight away. Failure to do so could result in an overpayment of benefit which will have to be repaid and your claim may be cancelled. Visit our change of circumstances page for more details on what you need to report to us.

Housing Benefit Overpayment

Please visit our Housing Benefit Overpayment page for more information and details about how to pay.


If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.