Change in circumstances for benefits

A change in circumstances may mean that your current benefit is no longer correct, or that you no longer qualify. Therefore it’s essential that you let us know immediately about any changes. If you don't tell us about a change and we give you too much benefit, you will be asked to repay it.

If a change means we need to increase your benefit, you have one calendar month to tell us. If you leave it later than that, we can only increase your benefit from the date you tell us.

Mixed age couples

If you are one of a mixed age couple (where one of you is over Pension Credit qualifying age and the other one of you is under) certain changes listed below may mean your existing Housing Benefit claim will end and you will need to apply for Universal Credit for your housing costs: 

You must tell us about:

Changes to income:

  • you start or stop getting DWP benefits such as Income Support, income based Job Seekers Allowance, income related Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit
  • Income Support or income-based Jobseekers Allowance
  • you start or stop getting Child or Working Tax Credit or Child Benefit
  • the money you or your partner gets increases or decreases
  • the money non-dependants get increases or decreases
  • other changes affect the money in your household. For example, someone starts or stops getting Personal Independence Payment
  • you start or stop paying child care costs

household changes:

  • you move home
  • the number of people in your home changes - such as a birth or a death, a partner coming to live with you, or a partner leaving
  • your rent increases/decreases

other changes:

  • you or your partner are absent from home outside Great Britain for more than 4 weeks
  • you or your partner are absent from home within Great Britain for more than 13 weeks
  • you or your partner go into hospital for more than 52 weeks
  • you or your partner become a student or stop being a student
  • the amount of savings or capital you have changes.

If you apply and qualify for Universal Credit any entitlement to Housing Benefit will stop and your housing cost will be paid with your Universal Credit (unless you are living in “specified" or temporary accommodation). 

However, you still need to claim for Council Tax Reduction if you are liable to pay Council Tax.

How to tell us about a change in circumstances

You can tell us about a change in circumstances online.

Tell us about a change in circumstances

If you need any help or assistance with your online application please give us a call on 0121 704 8200 or visit a Solihull Connect walk in centre.


If you know or suspect someone is committing fraud you can easily and anonymously report it.