Library services available during COVID-19
Our COVID-19 page can help you understand the changes to all Solihull Libraries and see what other services are available.
Joining the library is easy, membership is free and you can use your library card in any Solihull library and use our online services.
You do not need to live within Solihull to have a Solihull Library membership. Some of our services may have restrictions e.g. only accessible from within a Library or require a Solihull address.
You can only join online if you are over 16 years old.
On completion of the online form you will be issued with an online library card number, which is valid for two years and allows access to our online resources (except those restricted to access from within library buildings).
You can sign up to borrow eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and eNewspapers from Borrowbox, Overdrive/Libby and PressReader along with many other online resources such as Theory Test Pro, the Oxford English Dictionary, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and more. No need to worry about returning the item on time and no charges to pay
If you wish to use any library-based services (borrowing and reserving physical items and using library computers) you will need to take your online number to any local library in Solihull with proof of your name and current address.
Joining at a Library
You can join by visiting any of our Libraries with proof of your name and current address. Please check library opening hours before visiting.
If you are under 18
If you are 13 or under you will need a parent, carer or a responsible adult over 18 in the family to act as guarantor.
If you are acting as a Guarantor you have agreed that they can become a member of Solihull Libraries on the following terms:
- That they undertake to abide by the rules of the Library
- As guarantor you will be responsible for items borrowed and any charges incurred.
- As guarantor you will be responsible for their internet usage, including materials found on or printed from the computers, and any costs or damages that may be incurred while connected.
If you are 16 or 17 years old, we will accept a provisional driving licence, student card, letter from your school or college, or other appropriate identification.
If you are 18 or over
You must provide one proof of name and address from the list below (items marked * must be no more than two months old). - Driving Licence (including Provisional) / Medical Card / Council Tax / Tenancy Agreement or Rent Book /Utility Bill* / Credit/Charge Card Bill or Bank Statement* /Other Official Letters*/TV Licence
We also accept digital forms of identification held on customer devices that contain your name and current address.
When you join Solihull libraries, you can:
- Borrow books and other materials from any Solihull library
- reserve and renew items online
- use all the resources of the 24/7 library and download eBooks and eAudiobooks and eMagazines and eNewspapers, along with many other online resources such as Theory Test Pro, and the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
- use computers and the internet; all our libraries have computers with free internet access including printing facilities. Use of the computers is free for 2 hours but any printing will need to be paid for.