Register to vote

How to register to vote, check if you are on the electoral register and update your information.

You can register online at

Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. You need to give a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

  • you can only vote in elections if your name is on the Register of Electors for your area
  • credit checks - credit referencing companies use the Register when checking if a person has a good credit rating. If you are not listed on the Register, you may have difficulty opening a bank account, applying for a loan, credit card or mortgage
  • jury service - the Register of Electors is used to call people for Jury Service. There is evidence that fewer young people and people from ethnic minorities register to vote with the result that they are under-represented in the judicial system. The upper age limit for Jury Service is now 76 years of age
  • it's the law - there is a maximum £1,000 fine for individuals who refuse to register, and a maximum £5,000 fine for individuals who provide false information

If you have moved to a new address simply complete the online register to vote form to update your name, address or any other details on the electoral register.

Part of the application process will ask for your previous address so that your details will be transferred to your new address.

Remember to keep your details updated; it will help keep your credit history accurate.

If you have changed your name you must provide documentary evidence so we can update the electoral register. This could be one of the following:

  • marriage certificate
  • deed poll
  • amended birth certificate
  • overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate

You can send a photo of your evidence to as long as the image is clearly visible. You can also post a clear photocopy (not the original) to Electoral Services, Council House, Manor Square, Solihull, B91 3QB. 

Most people living in the UK can register to vote, and vote in elections.

You must not be subject to any legal incapacity to vote.

You can register to vote if you are:

  • aged 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18)
  • a citizen who is either a British, Irish, EU or qualifying Commonwealth citizen (qualifying Commonwealth means those citizens from Commonwealth or former Commonwealth nations, who have leave to enter or remain in the UK, or who do not require such leave)

The Open Register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked for them to be excluded from this version of the register.

The Open Register can be bought by anyone who asks for a copy and they may use it for any purpose. When registering, you must indicate whether or not you wish your name to be excluded from the Open Register.

Remove or add your details to the open register

Removing your details from the Open Register does not affect your right to vote.

As a student, you can register at your term-time address and at your home address. You can vote in local government elections at home and at your term-time address, as long as they are not in the same local government area. However, you cannot vote twice in a UK Parliamentary General Election.

Anonymous registration is possible if giving your name or address would put you or someone in your house or family in danger. You must have court documents or evidence from a police officer or social worker.

A separate application form must be completed in writing - you are not able to register anonymously online. Please email us at for more information.

If you have no fixed address you can still register to vote.

You will need to make something called a 'declaration of local connection' to show that you are connected to and spend time at a particular place. You can only do this for one place.

If you would like to register through a declaration of local connection you will need to complete an application form.

Please either scan and email the form to or return your completed form to

Solihull Council

Electoral Services

Council House

Manor Square


B91 3QB

A member of HM Forces and their wife/husband or civil partner can register as an ordinary elector or as a service voter. You can register as a service voter by visiting

A service declaration must be completed, which is valid for five years. Each unit of the services has designated one member of staff to be a Unit Registration Officer who will be able to provide further advice.

The electoral register is a list of everyone who is registered to vote. If you are not on the register, you won't be able to vote in elections, and you'll lose your opportunity to have your say about what goes on in your area.

The electoral register is kept in two forms. The electoral register and the open register.

Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the electoral register, and they can only use it for a few agreed reasons. These include issues around elections, preventing and detecting crime and checking your identity when you have applied for credit.

The open register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have asked. This register can be bought by anyone and can be used for anything. You can choose not to have your details published on the register by "opting out" when you register to vote.

The electoral register is open to inspection, but people cannot search for your name. It is kept in address order within each of the 17 electoral wards.

In some situations, people require a letter confirming that they are included on the electoral register. This can be arranged by contacting Electoral Services on 0121 704 6042.

To find out if you are registered to vote, telephone Electoral Services or e-mail the Electoral Services Office.

You can view the full register and the open register person at Solihull Connect at Theatre Square and Chelmsley Wood Library. Other libraries will only have the part of the register relevant to their area.

You will be supervised while reading the register.

Near the election date you will be sent an official poll card telling you when election day is and where your local polling station is. You can vote there between 7.00am and 10.00pm on election day. Our staff will be at every polling station to help you with any questions or if you have a disability.

You can choose to vote by post at an election, but you must have completed and returned an application form to Electoral Services by the deadline given on your poll card (the deadline is always the 11th working day before an election).

Further information about voting methods can be found at Gov.UK.

If you are unable to get to your polling station on Election Day you can apply for a postal or proxy vote.

Apply for a postal vote at GOV.UK

Apply for a proxy vote at GOV.UK

You can also download a paper application form and find advice on how to apply at our Postal and proxy voting page.