Your council tax bill

The amount of council tax we charge has increased by 4.99% in 2023/24, which includes a charge of 2% to fund adult social care. This remains one of the lowest council taxes of all metropolitan authorities.

Your bill also includes charges set by the West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority and the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner.

The overall council tax increase is 5.40% excluding any parish/town council charges.

If you live in an area with a parish/town council, it may have changed the amount its residents have to pay. For queries on your parish/town precept charge you need to contact your parish/town council.

How can I find out what the Council is spending its money on?

Information on Solihull Council’s budget and council tax requirement can be found on our financial documents page.

When to pay

Your instalments and their due dates are shown on the front of your bill.

You can also view your bill by signing up for a council tax account

Payments must be made on or before these dates to prevent recovery action being taken against you.

What will happen if I don’t pay?

If you do not pay your instalments by their due dates and you have not advised us of your situation, a reminder notice will be issued. If you do not pay this as requested the whole year’s balance will become due.

If this is not paid, a summons will be issued and additional costs will be added to your account. The Council will ask the magistrates’ court for a liability order that that provides it with extra powers to collect the outstanding debt, including

  • deductions from earnings
  • deductions from state benefits
  • placing a charging order on your property
  • use of enforcement agents to collect the debt on the Council’s behalf, which can add further costs that could exceed £420.00

If you are having problems paying please view our problems paying page

Can I include the outstanding balance from last year in my instalments?

No, the outstanding balance is due immediately and should be paid separately.

How to pay

Direct Debit is the simplest and safest way to pay. Most people now choose to pay by Direct Debit and are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Information about various payment methods can be found on the back of your bill and on our how to pay page.

I paid my bill by Direct Debit last year - do I need to do anything?

No, if you paid by Direct Debit previously and you have not cancelled this with your bank or building society this method of payment will continue and will be shown towards the bottom of your bill.

I would like to start paying by Direct Debit - how can I arrange this?

Please view our how to pay page for advice on how to start paying by Direct Debit.

Ways to reduce your bill

If you are on low income or claim state benefits and have less than £16,000 in savings (savings may be more if you are entitled to the Guaranteed Credit component of Pension Credit) you may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction.

Council Tax Reduction may reduce your bill by:

  • up to 85% where a person of working age lives in the property
  • up to 100% where an individual or couple are over pensionable age

Alternatively, if you are over pensionable age and have another person living with you who is not your partner and who is on a low income, you may apply for Second Adult Reduction.

Please view our Council Tax Reduction page for more details on how to apply.

How do I know if Council Tax Reduction has been awarded?

It will be shown on the first page of your bill. It will show as a credit and will have reduced the amount you have to pay.

If you would like to know how your reduction has been calculated, a statement can be requested by emailing or by telephoning 0121 704 8200.

What do I need to do if my circumstances change?

If circumstances within your household change, for instance someone moves out or in, someone’s entitlement to state benefits changes or savings or income alter, you are required to notify us immediately of the change. Failure to do so may result in an overpayment and could lead to prosecution and a fine being imposed.

Reporting changes in your circumstances can be done using our online service. 

Are there any other ways to reduce my bill?

Depending on your household or property’s circumstances, various discounts, exemptions and reductions are available.  For further details please visit our discounts and exemptions page.

Moving address

If you are moving in, out or within Solihull please complete the appropriate form on our change of address page.

Incorrect bills

If you think your bill is wrong, you should contact us straightaway and we will look into the matter for you. If you are not satisfied with our decision you may appeal in writing, telling us why you are appealing.

If you remain dissatisfied with our reply you may make a further appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

What should I do if the band given to my property is wrong?

If you think the band given to your property is incorrect, please view our bands and charges page for further advice.

Either the 1st or 15th of the month are available, to change you must contact us on 0121 704 8100.

Yes, providing you make your request before 15 April, your instalments can be paid over 12 months instead of 10. To request this you must contact us on 0121 704 8100.